The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
2,261 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Topic. My lily pipes (well, the intake at least) don't fit properly with the rim and it's slightly annoying. So, either I cut a small chunk out of the rim to allow it to fit properly or I just go ahead and do the whole shebang. Thoughts?

·
Registered
508 Posts
It shouldnt be a problem, I just took off the top rim of my 25 gallon and its been fine. I've also removed the trim from my 90 in the past and its been fine.

Mainly, the trims on tanks are there to use as a guide when they build the tanks, also to prevent chipping and damage during shipping. They dont really give any necessary structure to the tanks themselves, thats all done by the silicone.

·
Registered
2,334 Posts
it is safe if you would like I
ll send you a pic of mine that I usually keep water up to the very top of, has been up for several months and doesnt need any extra bracing

in response to your first response the trim is only there as a guide and shipping reasons on smaller tanks, as the tank gets taller the top rim becomes a major part in keeping the tank from bowing out, however it is still possible to have the rims taken off and still be used without further support just be careful and make sure you get a high quality silicone sealed tank. just derim your 20 long you'll love it

·
Plant Clown
4,735 Posts
Why extreme care on the sandpaper? And duh, sanding block would be much better for something like this. Thanks for the suggestion.
Because just using the sandpaper (no block) means that the only thing keeping you from the ER is a thin layer of sandpaper. One slip, or the glass cutting through the sandpaper, and you could easily get to see what the bones in your fingers look like.

·
Registered
2,334 Posts
Because just using the sandpaper (no block) means that the only thing keeping you from the ER is a thin layer of sandpaper. One slip, or the glass cutting through the sandpaper, and you could easily get to see what the bones in your fingers look like.
thank you for answering his question for me =p

Also no bracing needed if the silicone is high enough quality, have done it to a 40 tall and 45 long kept water for a long time before i took them down to sell

·
Registered
2,261 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Tank has been de-rimmed. Adding this to my list of things I've done and NEVER want to do again. I'm buying ADA/GLA next time...screw this, lol. One not so bad glass cut and one semi bad razor cut where my hand slipped. Neither require stitches and stopped bleeding promptly after (apply pressure and hold above head, etc) and were ointment + fabric bandaged. Looks pretty good though. :)

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.