The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,840 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I didn't know where to put this but I have seen a few in here. I have a stardard 10 gallon. I want to try a "natural scape" in my existing 10 gallon. I figure I probably will pull everything out and restart so I was thinking about derimming at the same time.

Basically, is it safe to do both, or just the top (I will probably do just the top)?

·
Registered
393 Posts
i wouldn't de-rim it because not all tanks are cut perfectly on the top because it doesn't have to be due to the rim the covers it... but i guess its up to you... and when i reseal my tanks i use a dry wall or puddy knife and work my way around and i will come off in one piece if you do it right

·
Registered
1,047 Posts
We have a 10g in our kitchen with the top rim removed. It's been holding up fine for the past few months, no problem whatsoever. I've had some tanks that have the bottom glass setup where the bottom glass is a few millimeters above the end of the side panes, so taking the bottom rim off isn't possible.

·
Registered
9,711 Posts
We have a 10g in our kitchen with the top rim removed. It's been holding up fine for the past few months, no problem whatsoever. I've had some tanks that have the bottom glass setup where the bottom glass is a few millimeters above the end of the side panes, so taking the bottom rim off isn't possible.
I have an aqueon tank (I think!) and the bottom glass is flush with the bottom of the sides, but removing the bottom rim isn't necessary by any means.

·
Registered
931 Posts
You can for sure take off the top rim, but then I don't see the point in taking off the bottom, because that should be covered in substrate anyway. On my 10g, I actually just took a knife to the front part of the top rim, so the sides and the back are still there. Theres still a tiny bit of silicon on the front pane of glass, but IMO it looks better than it did before.

·
Registered
880 Posts
I wonder if it would be easier to heat up the top with a hair dryer so the rim can come off easier. Would that work?

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.