Registered
508 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

·
Registered
508 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Im still considering it though.

Generally the trim on a tank is used in the manufacturing process as a guide when assembling a tank. Also, it helps protects the edges during shipping. If silicone by itself was not strong enough to hold the glass, I wouldn't see why thin plastic would really do much more the hold it all together. I found this in that other post, posted by MisterGreen

The trim (which is generally plastic) offers LITTLE support other than providing a “cushion” between the bottom glass and stand and as well a “convenient” way to place the lid, lights, etc., on top. Of coarse the trim does certainly add to the attractiveness(mg: i like that part ), but as someone that has worked with high end aquarium manufacturers and built/repaired many myself, I can tell the reader here from an experience that the trim offers little in support and if it is necessary for support, you have a dangerously poorly built aquarium!
As well, I have removed trim from many tanks (including large ones) and filled them with water with no difference other than the unattractive aspect.

I've also removed rims from my 25g, as well as my 40g breeder without any issues so far.

·
Registered
618 Posts

Generally the trim on a tank is used in the manufacturing process as a guide when assembling a tank. Also, it helps protects the edges during shipping. If silicone by itself was not strong enough to hold the glass, I wouldn't see why thin plastic would really do much more the hold it all together. I found this in that other post, posted by MisterGreen

I've also removed rims from my 25g, as well as my 40g breeder without any issues so far.
so why ask then?

·
Registered
736 Posts
Bracing isn't important. You can build up to a 71" 36" 28" rimless tank. Glass thickness is what matters. Most aquariums (30g-125g) are made with 1/4"-3/8" thick glass. (6.3mm-9.5mm).

If you use this calculator for building rimless aquariums, you'll notice they recommend a minimum of 10mm glass thickness for a rimless 75g tank. If it were me I'd use 12mm.

Just measure how thick your glass is. If it's 3/8" = 9.5mm you'll be taking a risk. I wouldn't do it if it was any less.

·
Registered
500 Posts

Braces are used for much more my friend normal aquarium glass will flex with the weight of water. U say it's a Hagen so maybe ur glass is thick enough. I just think ur playing with fire. Good luck. I would love to see pics of it set up and updated :)

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.