The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
1,668 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been wanting to do this for a while and the current $1/gallon sale at Petco gave me the inspiration. Picked up the tank the first day of the sale. De-rimmed it about a week later and then yesterday got to building the stand for everything. Still need to do some adjustments of the door on the stand, sand + finish the stand, and drill the holes for the filter tubes and C02 lines. Still undecided on a light fixture. I'll definitely be getting an Odyssea fixture but I can't decide on the 24" 48w or 24" 96w fixture. Going for high light high tech so I'll probably end up with the 96w. I haven't really seen anybody copy the style ADA stand where the hoses run through the top of the tank. Thought I'd give it a shot. I also recessed the tank about 1.5" in the stand since the silicone on the base of these cheap tanks is really hard to clean up. I still have to finish the silicone removal on the top of the tank.

Overall view:

View of where the tubes will come up:

·
Registered
1,527 Posts
Looks good. Can't beat getting the ADA look for $1/gallon and some elbow grease. Looking forward to seeing it scaped and planted out. What are you going to do to finish the stand?

·
Registered
1,668 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Looks good. Can't beat getting the ADA look for $1/gallon and some elbow grease. Looking forward to seeing it scaped and planted out. What are you going to do to finish the stand?
My original plan was to basically clear coat the plywood but my carpentry skills ended being a bit short. I didn't have the tools Im used to using (mostly a chop saw and table saw) so it didn't come out as nice as I wanted. Im a yuppy hipster so that rough plywood look is in. Now Im thinking about just painting it to match whatever room I decide to stick it in.

·
Registered
1,527 Posts
The raw wood would look good in the right room, but you can't go wrong with the paint unless you pick a pink, purple, or yellow. lol

·
Registered
1,668 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
UPDATE: Finished building and painted the stand. Still need to finalize hanging the light fixture. This has been a very slow build but Im getting close to an operating tank. Found some awesome Manzanita wood today which was something I had been waiting for. I'm also not quite done scraping the silicone off the top rim. That just takes forever...

·
Registered
828 Posts
This is awesome, really well done! It looks professional and beautiful addition to any room.

Eh but put your outflow towards the front of the tank and the intake at the back (unless you don't want to haha). ADA also has metal pipes that might look pretty sweet next to the metal light pole but it looks really good now as well. I wonder if you could try hiding that wire cord behind the metal pole, that would add more to the minimalist look I feel.

Hope you keep on documenting it because it's really an awesome project.

·
Registered
1,668 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks. Im crazy excited to get this tank running. I've had all the equipment for months. The best thing I've learned from this hobby is patience...

·
Registered
504 Posts
this tank looks great. your doing a great job, and deets (where supplies were purchased, what supplies were needed, prices, process of building, etc.) about the lighting fixture you built would be awesome. I have the same setup except I bought the stand but liking how you raised the light up off the rim.

What are your plans for plants?

·
Registered
68 Posts
this tank looks great. your doing a great job, and deets (where supplies were purchased, what supplies were needed, prices, process of building, etc.) about the lighting fixture you built would be awesome. I have the same setup except I bought the stand but liking how you raised the light up off the rim.

What are your plans for plants?
I 2nd that along with dimensions and build of the stand. I am looking to do almost the exact same set up. I would also like to know if you have any bowing in the tank. I am a lil nervous about de rimming a 20 long. my wife would kill me if she came home to 20 gal on the floor. lol.

·
Registered
504 Posts
I 2nd that along with dimensions and build of the stand. I am looking to do almost the exact same set up. I would also like to know if you have any bowing in the tank. I am a lil nervous about de rimming a 20 long. my wife would kill me if she came home to 20 gal on the floor. lol.
I derimmed my 20L (just the top not the bottom) haven't noticed any bowing on mine .:thumbsup:

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.