The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
700 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Recently, I have been noticing a few baby CRS which look very dark red on their head section which is supposed to be normal red, and the other two red sections are just as red as a normal CRS. Has anyone else had CRS like this? I don't know (slightly doubting it) if they will grow up and be like this, but this coloration is pretty neat. Here's what the dark red color looks like compared to the other red sections on them and other CRS:

·
Premium Member
7,997 Posts
Could it be a brownish red? looks kinda brownish on my computer.

If so it probably has some CBS somewhere in it's family history. Most grow out of the coloration, some stay a little brown into adulthood

·
Registered
700 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
If you look closely at the dark red circle, you'll see what i'm talking about. What surprises me is that only the head section is dark red. The rest of the body looks like any normal CRS. I'm pretty sure it's not food. I feed them spinach, fluval shrimp granules, and occasionally blood worms. The tank has lots of microorganisms, and diatoms and algae here and there. They're too tiny to get good pics showing the dark red right now. I will try though. I really want them to grow up like this. It would be neat to have CRS with a dark red head.

·
Registered
700 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I believe wine reds are dark red throughout their boy with white bands or markings. These little ones only have dark red heads. The rest of their body is normal CRS color/pattern.

·
Shrimpsanity
3,052 Posts
AM Herptologist, it could be a random mutation. Whatever mutation causes the WR coloration occurred at the location responsible for the head color...does that dark red look like a WR color? breed that bad boy...or girl...

·
Registered
700 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Lol. AM Herpetologist. I like that.

The coloration on the head, I guess would be comparable to WR's, but since the shrimps are still quite young, the coloration isn't solid. A better example to compare the color with (rather than that circle) is a red grape, but like I said, the coloration is not solid YET. This batch of baby shrimp is a mix bag. I have seen some that are a little more brownish, some that are normal, and some with that dark red on the head. I sure hope they grow up with WR coloration on the head!

·
Registered
700 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Update #2: I saw one of those wine red looking ones, and it indeed looks ver very similar to coloration of a wine red! In this video, look on the substrate at that WR that doesn't move until another shrimp comes in front of it (the one with CRS patterning): http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fk1_Q8G_Tyw

That is pretty much an exact replica of the three I have, but of course, a lot bigger. Maybe a little darker too, but you get the point.

You all are probably asking yourselves "does A.M. ACTUALLY, for once, have shrimp that are worth something?" Well the answer, as of now looks like a yes! I'm trying not to get over confident though, I might be very disappointed if something bad happens.

·
Registered
880 Posts
When my CRS first started breeding I thought I had a bunch of wine reds, they ended up growing into brownies or the color dissapeared and they became CRS.

Not eliminating WRs though. In a tank of only CRS/CBS, I once found a shrimp that was solid red, with only little specs of red on the tail. 100% sure it was an extreme WR or some other rare mutation. It was a baby, and I only noticed it because it had net-ridden from one tank to another, one that was very different in terms of water parameters. I saw it swim away, caught it again in my net and threw it back in the tank, never to see it again.

·
Registered
700 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
When my CRS first started breeding I thought I had a bunch of wine reds, they ended up growing into brownies or the color dissapeared and they became CRS.

Not eliminating WRs though. In a tank of only CRS/CBS, I once found a shrimp that was solid red, with only little specs of red on the tail. 100% sure it was an extreme WR or some other rare mutation. It was a baby, and I only noticed it because it had net-ridden from one tank to another, one that was very different in terms of water parameters. I saw it swim away, caught it again in my net and threw it back in the tank, never to see it again.

Hopefully mine stay this way! If not, I'm gonna be a pretty depressed shrimp keeper.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.