The Planted Tank Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
727 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
In my ~1.5 gallon Walstad bowl (all I have in there besides microfauna are crypts and snails) I have had an outbreak of greenwater. I was wondering if it would be effective to add Daphnia to clear it up?

·
Registered
948 Posts
i don't know about adding any more critters (i wouldn't) but i would add mire plants. i just posted about this regarding riccia and algea outbreak.

i know its a tiny bowl, but i believe adding a floating plant like mini salvina would be ideal for you. the salvina is super fast growing and does not rely on obtaining co2 from the water since its leaves are airborn. not only will it shade your tank (its ok for your crypts since they can thrive shaded) their root structure will suck nutrients (especially Fe) that would starve out that algea. the added bonus is, that floating forest of roots are a perfect home for little critters (including daphnia) that occur naturally and can be a food source for your fauna and possibly be conducive to fry! :O

·
Registered
948 Posts
i can only give you my theory man... i'm a noob! but i hope it works keep me posted! :p

i don't know if it worked but, here's a pic of my tank.. the salvina is covering about 85% of my tank surface and i still get a decent amount of light penetrating into my tank. i haven't wiped my glass since i set up my tank!:thumbsup:

Attachments

1 - 4 of 4 Posts