The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A thriving colony of daphnia have taken up residence in my 30 litre shrimp tank. I have 25 blue dream Neos that are healthy and active, but are not reproducing.
Assuming all my water parameters are correct, could daphnia (and a moderate number of bladder snails) be outcompeting the shrimp for food? Could this affect their reproduction?
Overall, is daphnia a good/bad/meh sign in a shrimp tank?

Attachments

·
Registered
171 Posts
I would suspect you have too much food going in if you have a lot more snails suddenly, daphnia (which feed off freefloating algae and bits) and the brown layer on sand. You can cut down what you feed to reduce their numbers. Bladder snails I find harmless with my neos. But I think the effect of too much food on water quality is more likely to be the cause of shrimp not making more shrimplings, and extra inhabitants is just a different symptom of that same problem.

Honestly Im jealous of your daphnia, I've been wanting to grow them on purpose for fish snacks and here you got them free :p

How long have you had the shrimp? They take a few weeks to get down to business if they come unberried

·
Registered
687 Posts
I’m not sure how you can get your daphnia going. Daphnia are filter feeder and feed on free floating algae (green water), bacteria or yeast. Without constant supply of plankton, daphnia will be starved to death. I raised daphnia in outdoor tubs. Occasionally, I introduced daphnia to my shrimp bowl to control green water, but once green water is cleared, the daphnia died along.

·
Registered
687 Posts
They are not daphnia. They are seed shrimp that cling on and move steadily on the glass. Daphnia have a jerky movement in the water column. Some fish will feed on seed shrimp, but many dislike the hard shell.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Aha. I are seed shrimp a problem?
Overfeeding might be a problem but they seem to polish off what I feed them with a few hours. The detritus is from leaf litter - I was afraid of suctioning up shrimp let's, but sounds like I might be sabotaging breeding efforts by not cleaning it up.

·
Registered
1,360 Posts
Seed shrimp are common in a lot of planted tanks. They are not a problem but are more noticeable in tanks without predators. Seed shrimp and snail populations are indicators of how much excess food is available, so if you have too many you might be feeding too much.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.