The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
404 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Wondering if anyone keeps Daphnia and would like to sell me some to start my own culture.

Let me know what variety you keep and how much.

Thanks

·
Registered
286 Posts
Wondering if anyone keeps Daphnia and would like to sell me some to start my own culture.

Let me know what variety you keep and how much.

Thanks
Easier method for acquiring Daphnia, Ceriodaphnia, Daphnia magna would be to look up in your area for Biomonitoring laboratory or toxicty testing. It is a requirement in most states that NPDES discharges pass a ceriodaphnia toxicity exposure test. They will have god populations of daphnia on hand. If you live near the coast they will have shrimp and possible fathead minnows.

Here is one that I am referring to

http://www.ascicorp.com/contact.php

·
Registered
256 Posts
Easier method for acquiring Daphnia, Ceriodaphnia, Daphnia magna would be to look up in your area for Biomonitoring laboratory or toxicty testing. It is a requirement in most states that NPDES discharges pass a ceriodaphnia toxicity exposure test. They will have god populations of daphnia on hand. If you live near the coast they will have shrimp and possible fathead minnows.

Here is one that I am referring to

http://www.ascicorp.com/contact.php

So they will give you/sell you the daphnia? I live right next to the CDC, they ought to have some as well.

·
Registered
286 Posts
I think I will go to our local lab and ask for a small culture o clean up this algae problem I got. Turn off the filters, leave the air running, turn down the lights so as to not make any more algae. Daphnia will populate really fast, reach a peak population then crash from lack of food. Ceriodaphnia have young with in 3 days after birth, no males required for reproduction. So you can see how quickly the population can boom, each cerio can have as many as 6 or more off spring with in 3 days after birth.

This is a common food fed to daphnia, it grows well and can be kept alive simply by setting a jar next to a sunny window.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chlamydomonas

When you get your daphnia the above algae will most likely come with it

·
Children Boogie
16,743 Posts
We have a local toxicity lab here in town, they gave me about 100 babies. There in the tank now, don't know if there dead or alive yet.
They should swim toward the light if they're alive. If they're still in their 'eggs', it should take a week to hatch. Depending on the species, the temperature is pretty important.

·
Children Boogie
16,743 Posts
Ceriodaphnia Dubia are live bearers, the babies are born free swimming. I'll try the flashlight to see if I can attract a few
Yes, when the environment is unfavorable, say cold weather, they'll lay eggs that'll survive the winter.

Also, they need well aged water. Any chlorine and chemicals will kill them. They could die in new tap water even when using dechlor.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

·
Registered
286 Posts
Ceriodaphnia are highly sensitive to environmental factors and pollution that's why they are used for toxicity testing.

Cerios are cultured in 15 ml cups, water changed daily and fed a combination of algae and digested trout chow or fish flakes. The newborns are then subjected to varying degrees of effluent from an industry or sewage treatment plant. There is a control group, 5%, 10%, 25%, 50%, 75%, 100% (example) effluent. Statistical analysis is performed on the amount of babies born over a 7 day period from each group or dilution. Water is changed every other day. The mothers are removed from the cups and placed in new cups and the babies are counted. Its a very long and lengthy test and highly labor intensive.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts