The Planted Tank Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
So I got really inspired by the way deep blue built its 3 gallon long tank. You can check out it on my 3 gallon journal in my sig. I liked the idea of a long and slim tank for shrimps so I decided to make my own. It will be made out of 1/4 inch acrylic.

Tank Dimensions - 24L x 6W x 7H in inches

I haven't been able to assemble it yet because I'm still waiting for the cement. Preview: Cut pieces

Filtration: Sponge Filter

Lighting: 36" Beamswork 129 LED fixture

Substrate: Ada Aquasoil Amazonia New

I just recieved the 9L in the mail and the bag is huge!

Plants: TBA

Shrimp: I am almost certain I want to start a colony of SS Grade CRS. Not sure what neos I want to put with them but in the future I will introduce Taiwan bees

I can't get anything else until my tank is assembled + cycling the ammonia out of the Amazonia.

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
The cement came in the mail today here's the finished product! Just need to give it a day to cure then comes the water test.

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks everyone!

that came out pretty good, is that your first DIY acyclic tank?
Yeah this is my first I'm pretty happy with how it came out. I think my next project will have to be a custom mr aqua 12 gallon long out of acrylic.

awkwardshrimp said:
Where did you b uy the acrylic from?
It is actually scrap acrylic. My girlfriend's dad works with construction so he can get me a ton of scrap acrylic. It just so happened the two pieces I used to make the tank was almost new condition. With only wear and tear on the protection paper.

·
Registered
1,571 Posts
Thanks everyone!

Yeah this is my first I'm pretty happy with how it came out. I think my next project will have to be a custom mr aqua 12 gallon long out of acrylic.

It is actually scrap acrylic. My girlfriend's dad works with construction so he can get me a ton of scrap acrylic. It just so happened the two pieces I used to make the tank was almost new condition. With only wear and tear on the protection paper.
You could sell your custom tanks! A new industry is born!

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Here's an update:

Water test from last night

An hour later: (not the final layout, just what I had extra)

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Pretty cool. You should of went with a clear not black hob filter.
Yeah I probably should have, that's what I had lying around. I'm not sure if I want to switch the positions of the sponge filter on the left and the hob. But I definitely will black out the background of the tank.

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 · (Edited)

Finally after a week of cycling my ammonia and nitrite levels are almost zero.

If anyone was wondering I did a search and to speed up the cycling process I had the temperature at 85. I used a sponge filter and two aqueon hob filters with sponge intakes. They all already had media bacteria on them from filtering another tank. I also used anacharis from another tank along with dwarf water lettuce.

I just ordered some plants and Borneo Wild stuff along with 20 CRS Grade SS. Now gotta wait to scape the tank and for the shrimp to come.

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Here's another update!

Shrimp are scheduled to arrive tomorrow. More pics to come. In the mean time I recieved my plants I ordered here's the fts let me know what you think!

From left to right

·
Registered
363 Posts
Very nice setup Danny, I like how you stood those pieces up in the middle of the tank. They will enjoy climbing those and pretend to be a statue on top for you to take pictures haha... Keep up the great work and can't wait to see them arrive soon.

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Thanks everyone! More input would be great!

And the clover looking plant is called Hydrocotyle Sibthorpioides.

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 · (Edited)
Finally the shrimp came, despite the below freezing weather, all 20 shrimp are alive and healthy.

2 hour drip acclimation:

For just being shipped and moved into a container, the color is pretty vibrant.

During the two hour wait, I went out and got construction paper to hide the hole in my table lol

All the shrimp are in the tank and they are a lot more red. More pictures to come as soon as they calm down.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts