The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Ok, this is the first time I have posted here so bear with me, but I am in total shock and a little freaked out at the moment. So I recently (about 2 weeks ago) moved my fish from their 30 gallon to their shiny new home, a whoppin 60 gallon! I am in love. Among the community was at one point 10 ghost shrimp. I was only able to find one during the move, so I left the 30 gallon about a quarter of the way full on my table and checked it off an on for a few days and didn't find a thing :( Sad day :(

So today (2 weeks later, yes I procrastinated) I start scooping water out and there is a little tiny fry! I save it and scoop again .. 30 or so little tiny fry! Apparently someone in my Danio school or my Rummy school spawned right before moving (I am thinking Danio because they were spawning the day after the move) and here I now see at least 100 of the teeniest tiniest little fish ever all over the 30 gallon.

Here is my issue ... I have had no filtration, no heat, no 02, no food, no NOTHING in this tank for at least 2 weeks. I have read that Danio eggs hatch within 24 to 36 to 48 hours? Either way, these little fry have gone completely undetected in there for WEEKS and I feel horrible :( I have not fed them and the water is of course stagnant.

I am afraid to change anything!!! I am afraid to put them into shock with any changes. I also think maybe possibly there might be baby ghost shrimp in there. When I shine a flashlight in the tank (when the room is dark) I can see little white things that look similar to a sea monkey, without the crown of course! (no better way to describe it)

I have a breeder net thing in the 60 gallon with a few week or 2 old guppy fry so I scooped up a couple itty bitties and put them in there ... they are so small the guppy fry ATE them! I admit, I thought it might happen but it was worth a shot. Help me!

On another note, there are little white worms EVERYWHERE in that water and it is nasty :(

·
Banned
3,261 Posts
Stick in an airlift sponge filter to help the water circulate, though initially, this might make a mess of the tank. They are small so the bio-load is so minimal that filtration isn't really even necessary at this point. As for food, I'm sure there's enough microorganisms in the tank that the fry are well fed. But soon, you'll need to supplement their diet if they survive. Brine shrimp hatchlings work as food as well as live daphnia.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts