The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I ordered 35 Danio Choprai from Live Aquara about 3 weeks ago. I painstakingly acclimated them exactly as instructed. They are currently in a 40 gallon quarantine tank with a sponge filter (that was in my sump for several months with plenty of good bacteria on it as a result). I have been closely monitoring my ammonia level since day one. It has stayed pretty much at zero the entire time. The temp is 77 deg. I used the same treated RO water that I use in the main display tank to set up the QT.
FYI: All inhabitants in the display tank have been thriving and doing fine for about 1 1/2 years using the same treated RO water.

The problem is that I have been loosing a few fish each week (in quarantine tank) ever since acclimation. They show no signs of sickness and eat like piranhas when fed. They swim strong and look happy though, every couple of days I find another dead one. They do swim fast and are tiny but I think I would have spotted something if there was any disease on one their bodies.
When I took out some non decayed dead ones, getting a better look, I didn't notice any type of disease.

I am completely baffled as to what is happening to them.

They were shipped overnight during 40 degree weather with one small hot pack and all I can think of is that they got cold or were mishandled during shipment. Unfortunately, I didn't check the temp of the shipping bag before I started acclimation.

I am down to about 20 fish at this point.

Has anyone experienced anything like this from getting fish shipped?

·
Premium Member
5,710 Posts
What are your water parameters in tank: Ammonia, nitrite, nitrate?
You say that your ammonia has "almost stayed at zero the whole time".
This doesn't bode well. You do not want to have any traceable ammonia levels when add fish. It may be that the fish are being exposed to trace levels of ammonia that are lowering immune system and contributing to stress. While the trace amounts of ammonia may not be enough to kill fish directly, it can open the fish up to secondary conditions.
What is the composition of RO water? GH, KH, and TDS if know.

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
What are your water parameters in tank: Ammonia, nitrite, nitrate?
You say that your ammonia has "almost stayed at zero the whole time".
This doesn't bode well. You do not want to have any traceable ammonia levels when add fish. It may be that the fish are being exposed to trace levels of ammonia that are lowering immune system and contributing to stress. While the trace amounts of ammonia may not be enough to kill fish directly, it can open the fish up to secondary conditions.
What is the composition of RO water? GH, KH, and TDS if know.
The Ammonia has been Zero. not almost. I checked it against distilled water and realized that the API test kit isn't yellow and in reality has a shade of green which makes it appear as though there is Ammonia present when there is none. The TDS is 171 KH is 2 and GH is 7.

·
Premium Member
5,710 Posts
The Ammonia has been Zero. not almost. I checked it against distilled water and realized that the API test kit isn't yellow and in reality has a shade of green which makes it appear as though there is Ammonia present when there is none. The TDS is 171 KH is 2 and GH is 7.
If water quality is fine, water changes being done, nutrition good, then that leaves disease.

Most common symptom-less/quick killing pathogen in aquaria is columnaris.

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
If water quality is fine, water changes being done, nutrition good, then that leaves disease.

Most common symptom-less/quick killing pathogen in aquaria is columnaris.
I just spoke with my LFS and they are out of Furan-2. Apparently they use Nitrofuracin green for broad spectrum treatment at the store and will sell me the equivalent amount for a full treatment.

·
Premium Member
5,710 Posts
Had to look that one up- never heard of it.
Active ingredients are: Nitrofuracin Green is a blend of Nitrofurazone, Sulfathiazole Sodium, Methylene Blue and Sodium Chloride.
The only active ingredient here that will work on internal aspects of columnaris infection ( it is both an internal and external bacterial infection) is the sulfa. Not a great alternative, but better than nothing.

Bump:
Thanks for the info.
I was going to use Furan-2. Is it ok to keep the filter running during treatment?
Furan 2 is good in combination with a gram negative antibiotic that works on internal bacterial infections-- nitrofurazone isnt one of them.

Yes! Leave filter running through treatment. None of the active ingredients using will "kill your nitrifying/ bacterial cycle;" but, all have capacity to set it back. Its best to always do a quick check of cycle somewhere in the middle of treatment and/or do frequent water changes. Its best to do the later because any accumulation of organics in tank can offset the effectiveness of meds.

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Had to look that one up- never heard of it.
Active ingredients are: Nitrofuracin Green is a blend of Nitrofurazone, Sulfathiazole Sodium, Methylene Blue and Sodium Chloride.
The only active ingredient here that will work on internal aspects of columnaris infection ( it is both an internal and external bacterial infection) is the sulfa. Not a great alternative, but better than nothing.

Bump:
Furan 2 is good in combination with a gram negative antibiotic that works on internal bacterial infections-- nitrofurazone isnt one of them.

Yes! Leave filter running through treatment. None of the active ingredients using will "kill your nitrifying/ bacterial cycle;" but, all have capacity to set it back. Its best to always do a quick check of cycle somewhere in the middle of treatment and/or do frequent water changes. Its best to do the later because any accumulation of organics in tank can offset the effectiveness of meds.
I was able to find Furan-2 this morning! What was the other medication you were referring to when you said that Furan-2 works good in combination with a gram negative antibiotic?

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
kanamycin - active ingredient in Seachem Kanaplex
or can order 100% powder from Angelsplus.com or Jehmco.com.

Next time I quarantine fish and they start to die for seemly no apparent reason I will treat much sooner with Furan-2. I bought 2 boxes to have on hand being that it was so hard to get. I will be ready if there is a next time.

I really took a hit on the Danio Choprai shipment and was becoming more and more frustrated and upset. I guess thats why I'm listed as an "Algae Grower" though my plants are healthy and the DT looks good. lol

Thanks so much for helping to save my remaining fish! I will feel much much better knowing they have been treated before being introduced into the general population.

·
Premium Member
5,710 Posts
Live Aquaria does not have a stellar reputation for high quality fish. Some of the struggle when getting started with fish is learning where to get high quality fish and reputable dealers.
Let me know if you want a list. Not really supposed to give reviews on this forum.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.