The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1,003 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I finally got my other female OEBT to berry, only to have it die 2 days later. I'm just thankful that it wasn't my 1st berried OEBT since she's been holding onto the eggs for more than 3 weeks now...I would have gone crazy if she died after caring for the eggs for that long. I know I can't save the eggs because I already see seed shrimp congregating around the carcass. Additionally, she was the only one that died. Yep, no dead babies or anything. But to me that's not surprising because she HAS berried and dropped her eggs before. Maybe it was just a weak female?

·
Registered
824 Posts
Don't feel like your alone. I have had many females found dead with eggs. I have been keeping these shrimp for over 3 years. I am still trying to fine tune my parameters to minimize the losses.

What type of water do you have? (Ro or tap)
What are your parameters?
what are your tank mates?

·
Registered
1,003 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I use straight tap water. The pH is 6.5ish (I use an API test) GH 5, KH 0-1, TDS 180 last time I checked (a few days ago).

I keep them with CRS. I've found out that it's easier to breed CRS than OEBTs; I got the CRS two months ago, and I already have around 50 babies. On the other hand, I don't have a single OEBT offspring, but I will if my last remaining female can hold on these last few days *knock on wood*.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts