The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
218 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys,

I've read a bunch of the ICH threads already posted, however, it seems everyone has their own opinion on whats the best course of treatment. I ordered some Rid Ich+ but it wont be here for a couple of days. I started raising the temperature of my 55G. I currently have 6 clowns, 6 Rose line barbs, 6 5 Banded barbs, and 6 pristilla tetras. The loaches were the first to show a couple (1-3) spots on their fins. I noticed a couple of white spots(1-2) on the other fish today. Should i keep raising the temp to what? i dont want to stress my fish too much

The tank is heavly planted and i dose ferts daily. If i start doing water changes what do i do about ferts? What type of damage to my plants can i expect from Rid ICH+. Algae problems from ferts being unbalanced?

Lots of questions :(

·
Fresh Fish Freak
24,403 Posts
You want to raise the temps a degree or two per day till you get into the low 80s.

And you'll have to be super careful with ich meds and loaches. They're extremely sensitve and you usually have to cut the dosage in 1/2. I'd treat the tank for 2x as long at 1/2 dosage.

And don't forget to keep up the water parameters. Gravel washing every few days can help manually remove many of the ich cysts (if the tank isn't fully planted, of course).

Personally, I'd put the fish's welfare above that of the plants. You may experience some disruption, but nothing that can't grow back or be replaced.

·
Registered
201 Posts
Raising the temp to about 82 will raise the parasite's metabolism and make them fall off the fish faster. This alone will work sometimes.

I don't know exactlly what your affect your med. will have on plants but I have used malachite green with great success in a nonplanted tank.

You need to figure out what your original stressor was and fix it.

·
Registered
1,157 Posts
+1 on raising the temp above 82deg and I's also add some aquarium salt to help speed the process of getting it to drop off (two things parasites can't handle - heat and salt).

Once they all drop off, or most of it move the fish to a new clean aquarium break the old one down and clean it completely and dip the plants in Potassium Permanganate if you can find it (it's the pink stuff most lfs and petco uses to dip there nets in) or just scrub them really well.

Keep moving the fish between tanks with the heat+salt until the ich is gone (you need to get rid of the spores) but if that doesn't work then you need to use a medicine with malachite green as a last resort.

- Brad

·
Registered
25 Posts
ich...yukk

Okay, I am a loach-keeper and recently dealt with a significant ich outbreak in my tank (did not quaranteen...that won;t happen again)
anyway, I agree with some (!) of the above.
increase the temp of the tamp...YES!!! I would go up to 84-86F, depending on the other inhabitants of the tank (clown loaches can certainly handle that... some recommend 86F)
I would use a malachite green/formalin combo like rid-ich. It takes a lot of real CONSISTENCY - daily monitoring, dosing regularly with water changes. The loachesonline website has an excellent article on dealing with ich in a tank with loaches ( look on the forum on the health and treatment section). They are supposedly intolerant of meds like rid-ich, but I had to go to full strength with my recent outbreak and the fish did just fine. Loaches are notorious for NOT tolerating salt. I would think about reducing STRESS as much as possible, so a lot of tank changes may make things worse plus spread a lot if ich around!!). The thing to keep in mind is that it takes a lot LONGER to treat these small scaled fish. I do not want to make you depressed, but my recent outbreak lasted a MONTH (>>>>:<( )
I was finally able to clear it (with a UV sterilizer PLUS every other day 40% water changes PLUS full dose rid ich, ) but it was tough and I lost several fish plus my plants suffered, but made it through.

sorry for the long post,
glenna

·
Registered
25 Posts
ps... rEALLY a beginner with the plants... I lost a few plants. I think the hardest thing to do is to keep up with fertilization while doing all those water changes...may be okay if you do fert tabs but the liquid will need to be redosed accordingly (depending on your aggressiveness with water changes)
hope this helps!
glenna

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.