The Planted Tank Forum banner

1 - 20 of 157 Posts

·
Nerd Alert.
5,719 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

Hello!

Today, I started a 75g emersed tank. I originally got this tank 9 months ago, but while putting it in the car it cracked a side pane. Now after having it sit in the corner of my room for 9 months, its time to grow some plants :bounce:

Specs:

• Lighting - 4x54w Oddysea from aquatraders.com
  • Soil - Miracle gro 'moisture control'
  • Aquarium - Seventy-five gallon 48Lx18Wx20H
  • Humidity - Unknown (hygrometer in mail)
  • Filter - 'Exo Terra Flo 350' (in mail)

This tank is going to be half for pleasure, half for funding my other aquatic plant adventures. I still need to get a few more containers, of which I plan on getting really soon. I am going to TRY not to flood it with a bunch of different species, I am going to limit myself to one species per container.

Current plant list:
  1. Pogostemon erectus
  2. Pogostemon stellatus 'narrow leaf'
  3. Ludwigia inclinata
  4. Bacopa salzmannii ('Araguaia')
  5. Cryptocoryne wendtii 'tropica red'
  6. Rotala indica

Pictures!

Bacopa salzmannii 'araguaia'

Ludwigia inclinata

Cryptocoryne wendtii 'tropica red'

Pogostemon erectus

Rotala indica

Hope you enjoy!

·
Nerd Alert.
5,719 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Epicness.
Glad to see that you're finally getting this project going!
Thanks! It's taken me awhile to fix the glass :p

Also forgot to mention, I am going to be growing some hygro balsamica emersed. Hopefully I won't kill anything by doing that :tongue:

·
Nerd Alert.
5,719 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
That's pretty cool, I like to see the Crypt flower they are so unusuall looking, nice job.

Thanks! I hope I can get it to shoot out a spathe also. First, I need it to convert to its emersed form :) I want to get a crypt that shoots out like a yellow spathe, or really awesome one.

·
Nerd Alert.
5,719 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Did you derim that 75G? Love that P. Erectus. ;)
I had it custom made, thus the more practical dimensions. It's actually a funny story what I traded for it....long story short, I traded two goat skulls in exchange.

I picked up all that P. erectus at a GSAS mini-auction for $5, great deal, huh?

Awesome stuff! Looking forward to watching your plants grow haha..
I'm looking foward to watching them grow too :thumbsup:

·
Nerd Alert.
5,719 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·

·
Nerd Alert.
5,719 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
New growth on crypts, rotala indica, bacopa, and pogostemon erectus! The ludwigia inclinata, and pogostemon stellatus is looking a little sad though :(

-----

I got my filter in the mail on friday, I put it in, but, the water level was too shallow for it, so I added another 5g. I am considering getting some wire racks, or something to raise the containers so I can have water movement underneath the containers, and so I can keep shrimp (Fire reds).

I also got my hygrometer, it says the humidity is at 90%. Once all the plants convert over to emersed, I am going to try to lower it to 75%-80%.

-------
Pictures to come!

·
Nerd Alert.
5,719 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 · (Edited)
More pictures! two stems of the Rotala indica are dying, but thats fine since I found a random stem of Rotala indica hiding in my Bacopa while taking these pictures :hihi:.

Most the leaves on the crypt are melting, but I was expecting that and the rhizome is still in tact and throwing out new leaves. My pogostemon erectus is growing like crazy, while the bacopa and stellatus are not really growing (the stellatus is actually kinda dying.).

Picture time!

Why yes, that is 10 gallons of tea.

Growth alert:icon_excl

Stellatus

The dying but bouncing back ludwigia inclinata

Inclinata growth

Cryptocoryne wendtii 'tropica red'

Sneaky little Rotala indica hiding in the Bacopa.

Bacopa :red_mouth

Humidity gauge

Have you ever had those day's where you have extra time but nothing to do on your tanks and you fondle your plants? Today was one of those days.

"Th-th-th-that's all folks!"

·
Honeycomb Master
6,769 Posts
Even though that L. inclinata looks dead, don't remove it. It'll eventually sprout new emersed growth after practically the whole stem has melted.

Everything looks good!

·
Nerd Alert.
5,719 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Even though that L. inclinata looks dead, don't remove it. It'll eventually sprout new emersed growth after practically the whole stem has melted.

Everything looks good!
Yep! I've had stems disappear completely only to randomly pop back a month later. I don't remove anything. I just plant on top and figure the dying plants will let the living plants grow better.

Can't wait until I start trimming 5" stems and this tank really starts producing. :biggrin:

·
I ♥ BBA!
12,768 Posts
Fondle your plants? :hihi: That cracked me up! Hey, Caton did you ever get UG? I can send you a small bit for shipping if you like. Send me a pm if you like. I'll have it for a while, so no hurry. Tank is looking great. Like the containers you used. You've given me an idea.

·
Nerd Alert.
5,719 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Actually, Dollface just sent me a PM saying she has just been 'busy' and is kind enough is to send me a portion :D

I'll see how much comes, I might need more. (I'll buy it, no need to give hand-outs :bounce:

And yes, I fondle my plants. Problem?

·
Nerd Alert.
5,719 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 · (Edited)
Time for an update!

Artsy slightly angled FTS

I got some UG (mush) from dollface! It stunk :( I don't know if any will live.

Whats this? A Downoi farm? Why yes, it is.

Ludwigia inclinata....at least some of it is growing now

The erectus has...erected?

Stellatus emersed! Growing much faster than it did in my old 15g. Love its bronzish look.

Crypt wendtii 'tropica red' has shot out like 7-8 leaves from the 4 plants :)

Bacopa salizmannii (Forgot to take a picture of the whole container, its grown a bunch also)

So far I am really happy. I may have to start a few more 75g emersed tanks like this to curb my plant addiction. Plus I am going to start mass producing plants via Tissue culture and I kinda need a tank to put them :p

-Caton

1 - 20 of 157 Posts