*goes onto ADGshop.com, looks at tools..... "40 dollars?? $%&*@"*

thats pretty much the story, so i made theese

D.I.Y Gravel Flattener:

Requires:
1 old paint brush
some card
duct tape

*accidently deleted this bit , cant be bothered typing it up again*

this one is pretty simple, cut off bristles, shape card, tape it on(make it watertight), then write ada on it

you save: 27 dollars!

picture:

D.I.Y Pincetters:

ingrediants:

2 bamboo skewers
1 little peice of card
1 roll of, yep you guesssed it; duct tape
1 stanley kinfe

instructiones:

1 roll the tiny peice of card up into a really quite small(millimeter wide?) roll and water proof with duct tape

2 securely tape the 2 bamboo skewers together at the end (about 2 fingers width from end)

3 wedge the tiny roll of card between them just below were you taped

4 secure the wedge in place

5 use your stanley kinfe to make the pincettes better to grip

6 flatten out the pincer ends and put a couple turns of tape round them(trust me)

7 scratch the tape round the pincers until it is nice and rough and good grip

8 write ada somewere

you save: 40 dollars!

picture:

·
Registered
711 Posts
That's funny,I have an idea ,how about attaching a blade to the end of your gravel flattener ,and call it...??? yep you guessed it,an algae scrapper.
But seriously,there is a lot of home made tools in my house,some for my fish keeping hobby,which looks crude but works just fine.
soon I'll try making your "pinsetters".

·
Registered
2,602 Posts
I bought my tweezers and scissors off of a medical supply website. They both work great. For scraping algae I use an old (cancelled) credit card. lol

·
Registered
1,231 Posts
:hihi:

Here's mine:

1) Get a plastic fork
2) Break off the teeth
3) (write ADA somewhere on the fork's handle)

Sand leveler for a tanks smaller than 1gal. :hihi:

·
Registered
21,012 Posts
You people just don't understand the importance of how you write ADA on a tool. Notice, in typed form it isn't at all adequate. But, careful study of a genuine ADA tool or piece of glassware will give you a good guide as to how to write it properly. Then, the tool will finally work properly. Trust me.

·
Registered
862 Posts
"if you want,I can show you how to make a bomb out of a roll of toilet paper and a stick of dynomite."-Dale Gribble

Reactions: shrimpaholich

·
PT Biologist
3,220 Posts
The nice thing about using an old credit card or some other hard plastic card is that you will not scratch the glass with it. Razor blades can scratch the glass, I don't use them any more.

Nice job on the DIY stuff.

For large tanks you can use one of those architect triangles as a substrate slope setter. ;)

·
Registered
3,254 Posts
too funny...
Hoppy is right...it is all about how you write it!

·
Registered
576 Posts
Well, these arent DIY aquascaping tools, but I thought they were a pretty good deal compared to the price of that Garden in Arizona.

eBay: Aquarium Landscapes Planted AquascapinTool Kit 5 Tools (item 120084554798 end time Feb-14-07 14:18:06 PST)

:iamwithst Here's another option from Aquatic Magic. I consider myself obsessive when it comes to having the best stuff (I usually budget $50/gallon for my tanks, ugh), but it would be very difficult to convince me that ADA tools are worth half the asking price. You're going to tell me that these tools are noticably better than the ones that multi-million dollar labs and operating rooms use?

·
Registered
233 Posts
Hey, I resent the I'm with stupid icon. I'M SMART! :flick: LOL I am also obsessive about tools, and want to work with good quality. I looked everywhere for some decent aquascaping tools and these offered the biggest bang for the smallest buck. I sold some junk off on ebay to raise the money to buy the tools that I listed in the link I posted. I like the ones I bought better than the ones that Aquatic Magic offers because you get 5 for the price of his 3 AND they come with a nice little zippered case. Every time I use these, I tell my husband what a joy they are to work with and much easier to use then the kitchen shears and chopsticks I was using before. I did catch him clearing out a hair clog in out tub drain with the 11" tweezers. I made him clean them off with rubbing alcohol and boiling water. He wasn't remorseful at all, he said they were worth the money just to make that disgusting job easier. In an odd way, we are both happy with this purchase.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.