Discussion Starter · #1 ·
DIY CO2 produces good plants, accepted. :icon_smil

What happens to all that ethanol? :confused:

The CO2 gas must be saturated with it. :icon_eek:

Does the fumes produce alcoholic fishes?:fish1: :fish:

·
Registered
21,012 Posts
Nah, the tank owner is supposed to breathe all of that alcohol in! Thats part of the joy of aquatic gardening, isn't it? It always amuses me that most of the articles on DIY CO2 include a caution not to try drinking the brew after it stops producing CO2. That stuff stinks so bad I can't imagine anyone drinking it. Right? Right?

·
Children Boogie
16,743 Posts
It doesn't smell all that bad actually.. It mells like sake & beer (kamekazi bomb).You can definitely distill it to get at the alcohol....

I think the ethanol is pretty stable in the liquid and isn't in the CO2 gas.

·
Premium Member
5,071 Posts
Actually, as a Peace Corps volunteer in rural Panama, I partook of a concoction very similar to DIY CO2 liquid. The locals kept a 5 gallon jug with a yeast culture on the bottom. They combined a "sugar product" (the first-stage after milling sugar cane, one step before brown sugar, called "raspadura" in Spanish) with 5 gallons of boiling water, let it cool somewhat to not kill the yeast, and then let it sit partially covered for 2-3 days. It lets off lots of gas and stays quite warm to the touch (accelerated process due to high amounts of sugar product). They said NOT to use plain sugar because it makes the drink "bad."

I believe gringos call it "Cane Beer" but we called it "Guarapo." It is stronger than beer but weaker than wine in most cases. Probably about 8-10% alcohol. It is an acquired taste, just like beer (I loved the stuff after a hot day!). Many of the locals have been drinking it their whole lives with no ill effects (other than alcoholism in some cases).

You can get Raspadura in most latin markets. Just combine a strong solution of that stuff with a fair amount of brewer's yeast. <insert legal disclosure here. don't try this at home, or at least don't blame me if you do something retarded>

·
Registered
175 Posts
Guarapo is actually just a sugarcane drink with no alcohol at all in it. I used to drink it all the time. They just grind up the sugarcane and then you drink it, sometimes they add lemon to it but I like mine plain. :)

·
Registered
258 Posts
The mixture can be distilled, which could increase the alcohol content and make it into a spirit. Although there are many diy instructions on the web, I'm not sure if it's legal.

·
PT Biologist
3,220 Posts
Why are you guys so interested in giving the Mods heartburn, and I don't mean due to the consumption of any liquids.

·
Registered
174 Posts
When I use to use the DIY CO2, I would get a mucus type buildup around my bubble ladder every week and eventually it would need cleaning. I even used a bubble counter as a separator to make sure none of the liquid was getting through but it didnt help. Any ideas as to what I was doing wrong? Does it matter what type of yeast you use? I used Wine/Champagne yeast and a little over 2 cups of sugar. There was about 5 inches of space in the bottle so that the liquid/foam wouldnt reach the bottle opening.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts