The Planted Tank Forum banner

1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
713 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought 10 yellow shrimp from aquariumluvr a week or so ago. They are doing great. As far as I can tell no losses. They are starting to color up.

Standard eclipse 6 light
Ohko stone from ADA
Fissidens glued to slate
Fissidens on wire
anubis
moneywort
unidentified crypt

The tank, an old Eclipse 6

Enjoying Shrimpball cuisine

·
Registered
700 Posts
Nice! A couple months ago, I dind't really care for yellow shrimp, but now I'm curious! Might have to get some later on. Are they worth it? Or do they constantly vary in color?

·
Registered
85 Posts
Your yellow shrimp are adorable! I noticed you have an Indian Almond leaf in there. Do you put these in all your tanks or just this one? Did it change the color of the water at all? I'd love to learn more about the benefits of adding these leaves.

·
Registered
713 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Nice! A couple months ago, I dind't really care for yellow shrimp, but now I'm curious! Might have to get some later on. Are they worth it? Or do they constantly vary in color?
I have only had these a week so I don't know how much the color will vary. I would assume they are like normal cherry shrimp some females are raving beauties others... not so much.

I have wanted to try these for a while. I have blue pearls and cherries so yellow was the next step.

·
Registered
713 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Your yellow shrimp are adorable! I noticed you have an Indian Almond leaf in there. Do you put these in all your tanks or just this one? Did it change the color of the water at all? I'd love to learn more about the benefits of adding these leaves.

Thanks! I put the almond leaves in all the shrimp tanks. I pour boiling water over them and let them soak a day before I put them in the tank. The water they soak in is like coffee the second day. After that I don't notice that they discolor the aquarium water.

Apparently these leaves grow beneficial bacteria that the baby shrimp eat. But in my crystal tank everyone munched on the leaf. They took it down to just a small stick in about 2 months.

·
Registered
368 Posts
I've got mine on black substrate with tons of green plants, and their yellow really pops! These juvies put my older yellow shrimp to shame... they are more yellow than my adults!

·
Registered
556 Posts
The yellows don't vary in color that much just like cherry's the males are more clearish than the females. You can always select the brightish / yellowish one's out of the group and put them in another tank. In a couple of months after they have there babies just keep on picking out the ones that arn't that yellow, and soon you will have some very very nice looking shrimps. Just like fire reds with the solid color.

·
Registered
187 Posts
Aw, I'm glad to see they're doing well! :icon_mrgr Thanks for posting! Nice setup, too!

IME, they seem to be relatively consistent in color. Those couple of pale ones should color up like the rest...maybe they just got stressed more than the others from shipping. They are used to being in a tank with black sand too, so it may take a little time for them to be comfortable on the light substrate.

Almond leaves are awesome for a multitude of reasons. I've also experimented with grape and oak leaves. Pretty much any non-sappy hardwood or fruit tree seems to work. If you don't want the tannins, pre soak/boil so most of them leech out.

·
Shrimpsanity
3,052 Posts
Just five , but one of those was an accident.

Sent from my ADR6400L using Tapatalk

Did you accidentally trip and put some soil and water in a tank? :hihi: or was it

"Hey Honey would you like me to bake an apple pie for dessert?"
"sure, babe sounds great"
"oopss...I accidentally added too much shrimp....dang made a shrimp tank instead":flick:

Naw...I'm being a smart A$$....I bet it was a fish tank until shrimpys came and you evicted all the fishies...well at least that's how I started with multiple tanks.

·
Registered
713 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Did you accidentally trip and put some soil and water in a tank? :hihi: or was it

"Hey Honey would you like me to bake an apple pie for dessert?"

"sure, babe sounds great"

"oopss...I accidentally added too much shrimp....dang made a shrimp tank instead":flick:
I moved some extra plants to my quarantine tank and a couple months later there were cherry shrimp all over the place... so now I have lost a quarantine tank, but gained a cherry shrimp tank.

1 - 20 of 48 Posts