The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
so i have a bad outbreak of cyno all across the bottom of the tank and on plant leaves. i want to treat with chemiclean but dont have the money to order right now! i do have some h p. what is the dose and procedure to kill the cyno and not the fish, plants, and nitro bacteria?

·
Registered
414 Posts
I have never heard that hydrogen peroxide will have any affect on Cyano at all. Cyano is a bacteria, so to combat it you need an antibiotic. While saving your money for the chemiclean you can increase water flow and water changes to comabt the cyano.

·
Registered
146 Posts
I actually have successfully gotten rid of cyanobacteria with hydrogen peroxide.

If I remember correctly I did a dose of 3ml per gallon. I would still have the filter running and I think it took me a bit over a week to get rid of it while dosing once a day.

But, I would be careful if you have shrimp. And I would start out with a smaller dose at first just to see how the fish react.

Chemiclean is great, I used it in a different tank because my shrimp did not like the h2o2 at all and was constantly trying to jump out.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
184 Posts

·
Registered
87 Posts
Don't use chemical to rid of BGA (cyanobacteria). Yes, antibiotics will kill it, but it will also kill your nitrifying bacteria. BGA is MOST effectively treated with a blackout. But don't take my word for it. See what folks are saying about what blackout did to BGA:-

http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/23-algae/126985-three-day-blackout-actually-works.html

As what one forumer said :-
"As for BGA- it cured the issue 100%. Literally 100%. "

For me, I could not agree more. My tank was crystal after 60 hours of blackout.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.