The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm getting ready to get everything setup before ordering plants which I'm not sure which ones yet? My question is I have well water with a ph of 8.5 if I added plants and the water and tryed to lower the PH would the plants be OK? I wanted to plant the plants when there is no water or only a small amount of water in there, I think it would be much easier to plant them and decide on where things are going instead of trying with a full tank of water. Or should I run the tank with water in it and drain the water enough until I plant? But that would be harder for me. Also I run two 36watt PC's from AHsupply one 6700K and one 10K if anyone has any ideas on plants with pictures if possible? I want some color in some of the plants if possible not just green:wink:

·
Registered
82 Posts
I don't think it would matter, but if your lowering ph with chemicals IMO add them first then when you get the ph where you want it add the plants. I use pressurized co2 to lower my ph from7.8 to 6.5.

·
Registered
3,254 Posts
Do not add anything to your water to lower your pH.
CO2 will do it adequately. How many gallons is your new tank. I see you have 36 watts of light, but I have no idea how large your tank is. This will help in suggesting plants. Also do you plan on dosing ferts? You do not need plant your plants in a full tank. You can fill the tank to make sure you have no leaks and to make sure your stuff is running corrrectly, but to cycle, you need only to fill the very bottom, load your tank full of plants, and fill the rest of the water and run. Start adding some fish right away, but not a bunch, start with a couple and add a little more every week or two.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

·
Registered
1,235 Posts
With that much light you will probably need two of those generators at minimum. I've never used DIY CO2 so probably others will give you some recommendations. You can also link several generators together to increase output. 2 liter bottles work fine too.

Browse through the DIY section for ideas.

·
Registered
3,254 Posts
read www.rexgrigg.com
Go to the CO2 section....also check out his cycling info

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.