The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Quick question on cycling. My tank is currently cycling. The Ammonia level is 3 ppm but I just got in some new plants. Will it hurt the cycle to drain out a lot of the water so I can plant the new plants? I will add ammonia again to the new water. Some posts on cycling say not to do anything while it is cycling but I would like to get these plants in the dirt so they can start getting established.

·
Registered
3,056 Posts
I doubt it will delay it if you replace the ammonia because there is not that much bacteria in the water column - and the plants will help out as they'll have bacteria on them, so I say go ahead and plant.

·
Registered
1,090 Posts
I was cycling my 10g with fish food and it stalled. I was strongly encouraged to add lots of fast-growing plants - stem plants like planted Water Sprite and others - and forget about the "cycle". See, the cycle uses bacteria to convert ammonia to nitrate, but fast-growing plants uptake ammonia directly, and while the bacteria are proliferating in the background. And as the plants grow, they continue to take up ammonia very well, with no end by-products like nitrate. And the bacteria are there to take up the slack. Of course bacteria, in this case, means cycle which means nitrates building up.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.