The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm cycling a new shrimp tank and have found myself stalled. I'm using RO water with Bee Salty Shrimp which leads to my pH being between 6 and 6.4. I've used seeded filter media from my other shrimp tank (half the size, but with the same pH and RO water) but still find myself going slow. I know that cycling can be slowed by a low pH, but I don't really want to raise my pH and then be incompatible for my shrimp. It's been about 2 weeks and I'm still seeing no ammonia cycling. Any thoughts on how to speed up the process?

·
Banned
628 Posts
The only way I know is by adding something like Seachem Stability which has the bacteria you need in it. But still if you're using seeded filter media from your other tank it should really work. It will probably take off for you soon. You would have to wait so much longer without that seeded filter media. Are you keeping the tank between 1 to 3 ppm Ammonia? Keep the Ammonia in the zone and it will start working soon.

·
Registered
2,593 Posts
Well, if you're set on maintaining pH where you are, the only other things to speed it up are to keep temperature between 85F-95F and oxygenate heavily, particularly at higher temperatures. Keep dosing ammonia to maintain a 3-5ppm level until nitrite spikes, and don't add shrimp until nitrite is zero and nitrates appear.

If you've seeded the filter, you may already be good. If you have nitrates, that would be good confirmation of this. If you have plants, and nitrates, all the better and you are probably safe.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.