The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I set up my tank last week on Tuesday and have been trying to follow Rex Grigg's method for a planted tank cycle. I initially added 6 bunches of stem plants on day 1 and they seem to be growing pretty well so far.

Everything in the tank was brand new so no pre-established bacteria other than a small bag of mulm from a friend's tank that I added on the second day. I'm running an eheim 2215 canister with new media etc.

My question is how long should I expect it to take before I start seeing the ammonia levels drop and my ph start to level out?

The morning after setting up the tank I tested my water for the first time and found that my ammonia was off the charts and my ph was down around 5.0 or lower. Almost a week later after two 25% water changes and the addition of some Seachem Prime and Flourish Excel I'm still showing that my ammonia and ph have hardly budged.

Is this par for the course with aquasoil? I guess I was expecting to see my ammonia levels start to drop down by now. Should I continue with 25% water changes every couple of days, or stop the water changes, or up the water changes to more frequently? When can I expect to see my plants taking up more of the ammonia?

Thanks in advance for any advice.

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
If memory serves me I think that ADA AS Ammazonia I takes 4-6 weeks to leach out all of its ammonia. Could be sooner but I think thats how long it took the last time I set up a tank with it.
good to know, thanks... and I'd assume that means you don't want to add any fish until it's all depleted or are you alright adding a few earlier if you have enough plants absorbing it?

I was also wondering if I can expect to see my PH levels raise at all after the ammonia leeches out. I went from tap water at 8 to right around 5 with the aquasoil, I was hoping it'd settle in around 6 or 6.5

·
Registered
9,100 Posts
Yeah, no fish till the ammonia and nitrite are gone for sure.

If your ph dropped from 8 to 5 that is crazy. I have never heard a drop that large before but I'm sure it could happen. The drop in ph has nothing to do with the ammonia. You will probably see the ph rise a bit in a few month but how much I dint know.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.