The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
238 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been reading that 86*F is optimal for bacteria growth, however isn't that too hot for most plants? I've got several species in my newly set up, dirted 75g and I have the temp at 82*F. Is it safe to go up to 86*F? Or is it even necessary?

·
Registered
2,862 Posts
Yeah, that's too hot for most plants. While some bacteria would have peak growth and performance around 82-86*F, it's not at all necessary. 75*F is completely fine. You could go lower than that even. Bacteria performance is dependent on other parameters like dissolved oxygen levels and pH (too high ammonia levels can harm the bacteria). Just focus on the fish's required water parameters as bacteria have evolved to inhabit the same environments as the fish.

·
Registered
11,721 Posts
More important is correct water chemistry. Look up my fish less cycle, and keep the water GH and KH in the right range for optimum growth. High O2, 1-3 ppm ammonia are also more important than temperature.

·
Registered
238 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
More important is correct water chemistry. Look up my fish less cycle, and keep the water GH and KH in the right range for optimum growth. High O2, 1-3 ppm ammonia are also more important than temperature.
Thanks for the replies. Question, how do I check for GH and KH? My test kit is only for ammonia, nitrate, nitrite and PH

·
Registered
1,916 Posts
Thanks for the replies. Question, how do I check for GH and KH? My test kit is only for ammonia, nitrate, nitrite and PH
You'll need specific GH and KH test kits. API makes em (I'm sure others do too); but doesn't include them in the master test kit.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.