The Planted Tank Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
1,576 Posts
Sorry to hear that. It can be rebuilt but the cost will be higher than the regulator itself. You're better off buying another reg. Can you still return the unit?
By the way is it a single stage or dual stage?
Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
12,411 Posts
Bummer! One of the downsides to buying used is the number of scammers selling things. One point I have learned to avoid is the guy who sells with the note that he is not set up to fully test things.

If you happened to get one of the cheap beer regs, there is a repair kit for them here:
http://www.midwestsupplies.com/corn...184_a_7c5292&gclid=CPSg86q86L0CFUVp7Aod3QgAGQ

I've never needed to repair one but looking at the small number of parts it would not look too hard.

·
Registered
722 Posts

·
Carpe Diem
7,563 Posts
Bummer, I have one of these from eBay that is also a door stopper. To rebuild one costs around $90 in my area with 1-2 weeks turn around time.

Just to double: check- fully closed means the big black knob in front turned all the way to the LEFT. Then the left gauge (low/working pressure) should show 0 psi. With the knob closed all the way to the right, the working pressure should be at max psi.

v3

·
Registered
1,150 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Bummer, I have one of these from eBay that is also a door stopper. To rebuild one costs around $90 in my area with 1-2 weeks turn around time.

Just to double: check- fully closed means the big black knob in front turned all the way to the LEFT. Then the left gauge (low/working pressure) should show 0 psi. With the knob closed all the way to the right, the working pressure should be at max psi.

v3
Yeah I definitely had it backwards. I feel stupid but at least it works lol. Thanks OVT

·
Algae Grower
6,444 Posts
Consider the "ops... i did it backwards" thing as a learning experience. It could have easily been bad unit. There are certain regs I stay away from now. Over the years, I've had toss about 40 in the trash. It's not warned very often, but there are tons of bad regs on [Ebay Link Removed]

When building your own reg (as cheaply as possible) your chances of getting a bad one are pretty great unless you're just looking for new stuff.

·
Registered
1,150 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I guess I got lucky. I dont plan on buying more anytime soon either. I do see a lot of these 3104C popping up on ebay lately pretty cheap for anyone who doesnt mind how big they are :)

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk

·
Carpe Diem
7,563 Posts
Been there, done that.
:)

v3

·
Registered
1,154 Posts
Same regulator as victor VTS-450, I like its extreme size, almost everyone got this reg system, complain too much metal, lol.
Ahhh the VTS-450 and the VTS-400 some of the first regs I bought and sold (you helped me build them too!). Boy those were massive but all the ones I bought were in great working condition. no complaints there.

·
Registered
123 Posts
For what it's worth, I have a VTS-450 as well, and was concerned before buying it that it may not be any good. Talked to the local welding supply places and they were all willing to have it rebuilt for ~$40-50, although it had to be sent off so would take a few weeks minimum.

Turns out it was just fine as well, but rebuilds may not be *that* expensive if needed.

·
Registered
133 Posts
I think it would be a good idea to consider what gas was hooked up to the regulator previously. I purchased a VTS-450D off ebay and it worked for like a month and then the first stage blew. The regulator was previously set up for oxygen so I think that might have been the cause.

·
Super Moderator
11,991 Posts
In my personal experience (not to say there is any scientific evidence backing this up; it is strictly anecdotal), regulators that have been used with oxygen show a higher chance of failing (or failing sooner) than those that have not.

·
Registered
1,150 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
While I have some attention here, im having a problem gettng a good seal on my cga connection to the tank. I think. Slow leak out of first stage but second stage is holding just fine. Any tips for getting a good seal? I just have a nylon washer do I need to really crank it down or use teflon tape etc...? Or is possible the aluminum cga im working with isnt cutting it?

·
Registered
63 Posts
i would not use teflon tape between the tank and regulator, you don't want any loose piece of tape to get into your regulator. I hate aluminum cga stem and nuts. They are too soft for the amount of pressure I use to crank down on.

·
Collectoritis Patient
2,322 Posts
While I have some attention here, im having a problem gettng a good seal on my cga connection to the tank. I think. Slow leak out of first stage but second stage is holding just fine. Any tips for getting a good seal? I just have a nylon washer do I need to really crank it down or use teflon tape etc...? Or is possible the aluminum cga im working with isnt cutting it?
I would guess the leak is where you attached the CGA to the regulator. Can you hear it leaking?

·
Registered
1,150 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I had a leak there so I pulled it and retaped it and checked again and it seems to be good there. I will give it another once over in a little while

·
Registered
12,541 Posts
I had a leak there so I pulled it and retaped it and checked again and it seems to be good there. I will give it another once over in a little while

Teflon tape on the Nylon washer side (reg to tank)SHOULD be unnecessary.. Those threads aren't really there to seal anything.... by design..
But if it works.. so be it........

·
Algae Grower
6,444 Posts
Teflon tape on the Nylon washer side (reg to tank)SHOULD be unnecessary.. Those threads aren't really there to seal anything.... by design..
But if it works.. so be it........
Putting tape on the threads accomplishes nothing. There's a big old hole on the end of the nut. The only way sealing the treads would work if you used a seal on the other side of the flange where you stick the washer.

Either you didn't get a good seal on the npt side or the washer didn't make a good seal to the tank and nipple or the high pressure gauge had a leak somewhere. That or it leaked from the interstage.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts