The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I will be cycling a new 29 gallon tank soon. Do I cycle it without plants or is it ok to cycle with plants? I do cycles with fish in all my tanks. I am not worried about how fast they cycle. I will probally use Black Mollies or Platies. I will be using Flourite and small gravel substrate. Using Coralife lighting (t-5) AC 50 filter. With all said and done it will be a Guppy tank. Will also have drift wood. Thanks:help:

·
Registered
544 Posts
I have found that a combo of a heavily planted tank with hagen´s cycle or other brand´s bacteria really speeds up the cycling of a tank. My 100 gal is 15 days "old" from the re-setup and it´s completely cycled. Ammonia and nitrite levels never got into the "danger zones" and fish are so happy that yesterday a pair of Angels spawned

·
Registered
2,709 Posts
By the way, black mollies are a lousy fish to cycle tanks with. They have been a standard suggestion forever, but they are vegetarians and quite often starve to death in a new tank before they get ich or something else. Male common guppies are healthier but fishless cycling with plants and fish food will work just fine and in about the same amount of time.

·
Registered
11 Posts
I cycled my 29 gallon tank with a betta i had from a smaller tank, it worked pretty well because betta's can tolerate alot of different water conditions.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.