The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
189 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
ok I am in the process of cycling water for almost a week now using 10 tetras and few plants. Sadly the tetras developed ick the second day I put them in. I immediately treat the tank with high heat (84F) and little bit of salt, I hope it will go away soon. As predicted today the tank got bacteria and diatom bloom which makes it disgusting...:hihi: there are few questions that bother me:

1) diatom also makes the black eco-complete appears brown, will it go away along with rest on the plants and glass without the help of fishes(ie. oto)? I'll be receiving the new Eheim 2028 and UVS tomorrow so I'll put them to work asap.

2) ick seems to be under control because I only see couple white spots on one tetra today. But will the remained ick infect the medias within the new 2028 canister?

3) what's the highest temp that plant can withstand?

4) is there anything that I can do to improve the situation besides wait?

·
Registered
390 Posts
Your uvs will kill the ick when it leaves it's host.....

·
Registered
845 Posts
Once you start running that UVS, in given time, it should kill that parasite. Here is a good read on ick: http://www.fishforum.com/viewtopic.php?t=1648 I don't recommend medications. Try the salt and higher heat with the UVS and you/tank should be ok.

Is this the only tank you have? New Tank setup, right? To help jump start the cycle, filter media, substrate, etc, from an existing, established tank would help with this matter. The diatoms gradually go away once your healthy bacteria level kicks in.

You should get more fast growing stem plants, so they compete with the algae that will most likely show up. Feed your fish sparingly!

I think with most plants, you'll be ok. Some may not tolerate it, but it's better to "rid" your tank of this parasite and then you can replace what plant didn't make it.

Answer to #4: research while you wait. If you plan on putting more fish in this tank at a later time, I'd suggest getting a quarantine tank. I doubt you want to go thru all this again with a full planted tank, etc.

·
Registered
845 Posts
Oh yeah, looking at your tank specs.....do you have a fert. dosing regime in mind? CO2 supply? If not, you better get crackin' on this forum and read, read, read. LOL There is so much valuable information here at TPT and wonderful people who love to help. Just ask away. But remember, the "Search" button is your friend. LOL :proud:

·
Registered
204 Posts
In my experience, starting off with so many fish is a bad thing. I would keep a close eye on the ammonia levels, and do at least 2 water changes a week while dosing Seachem Prime. When I started my tank, the LFS told me it was ok to start off with several fish. 2 weeks later most died except for 2 platy's. The tetras and angel fish died horrible deaths. Lesson learned the hard way for me.

·
Registered
189 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Ok, I got my Eheim 2028 and Coralife 18W UVS today. It took about 1 hour to set everything up. The UVS is hooked up with a T hose connector off the canister hose. As expected the next day the water is crystal clear and ick spot is no loner seen on any of the tetras (the ick may not be eradicated yet but it's a good sign).

But the brown color of the eco-c caused by diatom is still bothering me. Did any of you experience this? Will the discoloration go away?

Aslo I'll be upgrading my lighting again to 4 65W Coralife Aqualight. I'll be aslo investing in a automated CO2 system and extra canister. .... Maybe a water pump for water change:iamwithst

thanks!

·
Registered
204 Posts
4x65watts on a 55 gallon is too much light IMHO. I have 2x55 and a T5 fixture with 56 watts that comes on for 2-4 hours a day in conjunction with the other one and it's more than enough. I guess if you leave it on for just a few hours a day with enough CO2 then it may work fine, but I'd be cautious. You may end up with an Algae issue. Also, will you be dosing flourish in conjunction with CO2?

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.