The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
322 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So my tank has been going strong for about 5 months now. I put an Eheim 2213 on it (ten gallon) the beginning of august. I have been running the aquaclear 30 alongside it at full strength up until about 2.5 weeks ago, and have been steadily reducing the flow on it. I have the flow all the way down on it now, and the water barely dribbles out. I was thinking i would leave it like this for two more weeks, and then not feed the tank for 4 days at the end of that two week period. i would remove the aquaclear on day 2 out of 4 and just leave the eheim running on the tank from then on indefinably. My thinking is that by day 2 no new ammonia will be introduced into the tank by food, so i will avoid any lack of bio material to take care of the ammonia as not much will be introduced. This should work right? Sorry if it sounds confusing, I'm confused myself :redface: . Thanks for the help!

You can view my tank here: http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/tank-journals-photo-album/137598-my-first-tank-10-gallon-high-7.html

·
Registered
10,732 Posts
This is just what I do to cycle tanks and filters quickly: I run sponge filters on all of my rack. They are the "dual" type with two sponges. I have about 30 of these going, and keep about 10 spares around. Since shrimp tanks take so little to cycle(low bioload) I have no problem pulling a filter out of a tank (not at same time as a water chagne) and using that media to boost a new tank. I just put these in new breeder tanks as the primary filter.

IF I am setting up a new display tank. I squeeze the bejeezus out of the filters and drain them into the filter. I let the media sit for a while and then just swish around and hook it up. It has instantly cycled every tank I've done it on.

Another thing is if you are taking a filter down and replacing it, just cut the filter media out and put it in the new filter.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.