The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, my tank is fairly planted with about 7 rooted plants, like 6 anubias+java fern and some floaters, and I am dosing a regularly scheduled seachem chart. I am planning on stocking the tank with 6 ave creeks bosemanis that grow to 4", 6 praecox rainbows that grow to 3", 6 otos, and 6 corys. My question, is when do nitrites and nitrites go down? My ammonia has been steadily decreasing but lately my nitrates have sky rocketed and nitrites are around the 2-5 ppm.

Attachments

·
Registered
241 Posts
You can do a water change to get the nitrates down a bit. The nitrites might take another week or so to go to zero. At least your ammonia is at zero so you're halfway there.

·
Registered
281 Posts
Your Nitrates will never go down by them selves, only maybe if you would have a ton of plants. In the Nitrogen cycle the bacteria convert Amonia to Nitrite then Nitrite to Nitrates... The Nitrates don't get converted, they get absorbed by plants or have to be removed by water change.

·
Registered
241 Posts
I shouldn’t add anymore though right? Why should I add more if it went down? I should just wait until my nitrites go down right?
I thought it was to continue to feed the BB. If you finish your cycle but then don't have any source of ammonia, the BB can't convert it to nitrites and then to nitrates and then your BB slowly die.
From Dr.Tims website, "Continue measuring ammonia and nitrite every 2 or 3 days until you start to see some nitrite. This is a sign that the ammonia-oxidizing bacteria are starting to work. Add half the initial amount of ammonia you added to the water on day 1. Continue measuring ammonia and nitrite every 2 or 3 days. Around day 9 to 12, the ammonia will probably be below 1 mg/L, maybe even 0, but nitrite will be present. Nitrite does not spike until somewhere between days 14 and 20. You want to be careful adding more ammonia because you do not want the nitrite-nitrogen over 5 mg/L as this will start to poison the nitrite-oxidizing bacteria. Add a little ammonia every few days (1/4 dose), making sure the nitrite does not go above 5 mg/L. Once you start to see the nitrite decrease, it will drop pretty fast. The cycle is completed when you can add the full dose of ammonia (2 to 3 mg/L-N) and overnight it all disappears to nitrate with no sign of nitrite. Now you can start to add fish. "

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
so i went to a calculator online and according to my friends I want my ammonia near 3 ppm ish, so the website said to add 5 drops of the ammonia and wait? (I originally added 160 drops).

·
Registered
25 Posts
I personally cycle with ammonia dosing (nothing but hardscape) and once it’s cycled I drain and plant. The nitrobacter process the nitrite to nitrate, they grow slower and need time to stabilize. Monitor your ph, if you let it drift too low they may stop growing and die back. If if you’re going to do the daily WC route dose some fritz BB with your ammonia. You need at least two types of BB to make this work.

Do a big water change now to get the nitrite down to around 5-10 ppm. Then redose with ammonia back to around 2-3 ppm… You can’t starve the one bacteria colony while trying to feed the other.

Your nitrobacter is not fully there yet, they are slower at growing than nitrosomonas. You have a working nitrosomonas colony with that much nitrite which is good. You’re almost there, just don’t change too many parameters at once.

Have patience, don’t panic! 😄

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I personally cycle with ammonia dosing (nothing but hardscape) and once it’s cycled I drain and plant. The nitrobacter process the nitrite to nitrate, they grow slower and need time to stabilize. Monitor your ph, if you let it drift too low they may stop growing and die back. If if you’re going to do the daily WC route dose some fritz BB with your ammonia. You need at least two types of BB to make this work.

Do a big water change now to get the nitrite down to around 5-10 ppm. Then redose with ammonia back to around 2-3 ppm… You can’t starve the one bacteria colony while trying to feed the other.

Your nitrobacter is not fully there yet, they are slower at growing than nitrosomonas. You have a working nitrosomonas colony with that much nitrite which is good. You’re almost there, just don’t change too many parameters at once.

Have patience, don’t panic! 😄
by big do you mean 80 percent water change? Im using seachem stabilizer and the dr tims ammonia

·
Registered
25 Posts
It can be tricky to dose but you’ll have to estimate how many gallons have been removed so you know how much stability to dose… Dose the ammonia off the directions for your actual volume of water. Especially if your reading 0ppm right now just use the regular dose.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
i had to do a 100 p[ercemt water cjamge cuz i needed to move the tank to a more sturdy desk, will my cycle be dead?

·
Registered
241 Posts
As long as the filter material was kept wet you should be ok. Just get the ammonia back up to 2-3ppm and wait some more. Not having any nitrites in the water may stall the cycle a bit but it already seems like your filter had no trouble turning ammonia into nitrate.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
As long as the filter material was kept wet you should be ok. Just get the ammonia back up to 2-3ppm and wait some more. Not having any nitrites in the water may stall the cycle a bit but it already seems like your filter had no trouble turning ammonia into nitrate.
yep the canister filter was fully wet but the sponge filters were kinda wet, mad tired now but I dosed the seachem prime, dr tims ammonia (around 5 ML), and 2 capfuls of seachem stabilizer.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
So uh, day 13, I dosed 5 ML of dr tims ammonia and 4 capfuls of seachem stabilizer, and my ammonia levels are still 0.25, but according to my test kit my nitrites are like 5-10 ppm, and like 80-160 ppm of nitrates despite doing the 100 percent water change (had to move the tank to a stand).

Attachments

·
Registered
25 Posts
Do another WC 80%, you may need to do this a few times... It can be a bear I know 😅. You're converting pretty good, I would say your almost there... Just a few more times and when
your nitrite and ammonia are zero after you dose ( like 8 hrs ) and all you have is high nitrates your done. You just do another large water change to get the nitrates out and add livestock.

How are you doing your water changes btw ?

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Do another WC 80%, you may need to do this a few times... It can be a bear I know 😅. You're converting pretty good, I would say your almost there... Just a few more times and when
your nitrite and ammonia are zero after you dose ( like 8 hrs ) and all you have is high nitrates your done. You just do another large water change to get the nitrates out and add livestock.

I do water changes with a vivosun water pump and a 1/2 tubing, just put the pump in the tank, mark 30-50 percent and then unplug and then get the tank water out the tube and do the reverse with the sink. I add prime into the tank, ammonia and seachem stability.

Also for the 80 percent should I do that right now? and if so I readd the amount of ammonia I removed from the water column right?

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·

my LFS said that I should just let the tank sit for like a couple days and then check again to let the tank get "seasoned". Should I do the 80 percent or just wait like 3-4 days?

1 - 20 of 39 Posts