The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Opae Ula Crazed.
1,408 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
In starting up a new tank does the addition of Prime or Purigen (in the filter) do anything to slow the cycling of the tank? Do they make the cycling unnecessary? (Dumb question, probably!)

Both are said the either detoxify/neutralize or remove ammonia, nitrites and maybe even nitrates.

Any comments or ideas?

·
Registered
251 Posts
I have used Prime and SafeStart together for my cycles. I have never had a cycle take longer than a week with the SafeStart, I can't say whether or not Prime alone would effect it.

·
Registered
3,418 Posts
I don't believe Purigen would alter the progession of a cycle, but why take the chance.
Just don't start using Purigen until your cycle is completed.

·
Registered
3,056 Posts
Prime should not affect the cycle at all.

Are there going to be fish in the tank? If so do as many water changes as necessary to ensure their well being.

·
Registered
169 Posts
Purigen will remove organic nitrogenous waste products but will not remove inorganic compounds like ammonia, nitrite or nitrate.

If you are cycling using fish food do not use Purigen (it will prevent the food from being fully converted into ammonia). If you are cycling using pure ammonia Purigen will have no effect.

Prime/Safe just temporarily converts ammonia to a less toxic form - it doesn't remove any ammonia so it won't impact your cycle.

·
Premium Member
787 Posts
I will not repeat all of the good information you received already. But to answer your question about the cycling, yes, you will still have to cycle the tank. Those products to need establish a beneficial bacteria colony for your tank. If you want to spped up your cycle process, see if you can get some filter media, gravel, plants, decorations from an established tank and use that to seed your tank. You would be able to cut a significant amount of time off the cycle process if you put some bacteria filled media in your filter. Just use Prime to condition your tap water. It will remove break down the chlorine/chloramines into ammonia which will be used by the bacteria as food. You will need to add another source of ammonia to build up that colony. I personally use fish food. Just throw a pinch in the tank every day and let it sit. It will start to rot and create ammonia.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts