The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am attempting to do fishless cycling.

I set it up with everything new 9 days ago and added a small (about the size of a bouillon cube) piece of frozen shrimp. The temp is 80 and I do not have lights on.

My well water goes through a softener and has a pH of between 7.4 and 7.6 - highest of regular pH test and lowest on high range pH test.

day 2 - pH was 8.0, ammonia 0

day 3 thru 6 - still no ammonia

day 7 - pH up to 8.4

day 9 - still no ammonia, pH up to 8.4, no nitrate

Am I being too impatient. Seems like there should be some ammonia at this point. I'm thinking of getting some ammonia to add or maybe some live bacteria.

Any advice would be appreciated.

·
Registered
172 Posts
The water is moving very well. It is swirling and there is a bit of foam on top. The pieces of shrimp are just sitting on the bottom. I purchased a new API Freshwater Master Test Kit. Are test regents ever "bad"?

Day 10 - still no ammonia. Is it possible that my new API Freshwater Master Test Kit has bad regents?

·
Super Moderator
12,114 Posts
Day 10 - still no ammonia. Is it possible that my new API Freshwater Master Test Kit has bad regents?
While it is possible that the reagents expired, in my experience, they still tend to work even after the 'best before' date. You can check your reagents, as they print the expiry date on the sides of the bottles.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.