The Planted Tank Forum banner

Cycled tank with pesky algae diatoms! Help!

416 5
Hi there, I have a low tech 29 gallon fully planted tank with fish. It’s been running for over a year and I’ve been doing everything I can to get rid of this pesky brown and black algae. It’s gotten so bad that it has stunted the growth of my golden anubias, anubias petite, and many of my Buce plants, and it’s practically ALL OVER my seiryu stone. I’ve already adjusted my lighting setting to super low and decreased the time they are on. FYI- my light settings have been on low for over 6 months now when the problem first started. I have the Fluval Planted 3.0 light, so if anyone has recommendations on specific light parameters, please share! I am also dosing excel daily. I scrub some off when I do water changes and also directly apply hydrogen peroxide (half:half water) on them with a dropper. I cannot do full submerge hydrogen peroxide baths because I can’t take the plants or rocks out (my scape would fall apart). My water parameters are normal although I have not been able to test the water hardness, which I know can be a culprit. Please help me figure out what else I can do. I’m not sure why I read on another post that the low light can be the reason it’s growing, while I read it can also be the exact opposite (too much light).
Plant Terrestrial plant Vegetation Grass Natural landscape

Plant Terrestrial plant Groundcover Flowering plant Landscape

Plant Terrestrial plant Groundcover Grass Flowering plant

Wood Water Body of water Plant Bedrock

Plant Terrestrial plant Flower Wood Biome

Water Liquid Plant Fluid Terrestrial plant

Plant Terrestrial plant Vegetation Groundcover Grass

Plant Bedrock Terrestrial plant Frog Toad
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

· Registered
4,655 Posts
Hi there, I have a low tech 29 gallon fully planted tank with fish. It’s been running for over a year and I’ve been doing everything I can to get rid of this pesky brown and black algae. It’s gotten so bad that it has stunted the growth of my golden anubias, anubias petite, and many of my Buce plants, and it’s practically ALL OVER my seiryu stone. I’ve already adjusted my lighting setting to super low and decreased the time they are on. FYI- my light settings have been on low for over 6 months now when the problem first started. I have the Fluval Planted 3.0 light, so if anyone has recommendations on specific light parameters, please share! I am also dosing excel daily. I scrub some off when I do water changes and also directly apply hydrogen peroxide (half:half water) on them with a dropper. I cannot do full submerge hydrogen peroxide baths because I can’t take the plants or rocks out (my scape would fall apart). My water parameters are normal although I have not been able to test the water hardness, which I know can be a culprit. Please help me figure out what else I can do. I’m not sure why I read on another post that the low light can be the reason it’s growing, while I read it can also be the exact opposite (too much light). View attachment 1047252
View attachment 1047256
View attachment 1047254
View attachment 1047255
View attachment 1047253
View attachment 1047250
View attachment 1047251
View attachment 1047249
You will want to evaluate how bright your light really is. Either a) use a par meter (expensive), b) use a lux meter and divide the reading by 80 (cheaper), c) use an app like photone to get a par reading (free, requires calibration), or d) use the lux meter app and divide by 80 (free, simple). Take your light off the tank and take the reading the same distance from the light as the substrate is from the light in your tank. This will tell you how bright your light really is.

If this is a low tech tank (no injected co2), you want light levels between 15 and a max of 30 par at substrate. Your light cycle should be no more then 8 hours total for a day.

Hopefully this is helpful.

· Registered
198 Posts
@MrodNanos

Well, 6 months is long enough to determine this isn't working. Stop using Excel. Get and use a fertilizer, maybe an all in one unless your handy at mixing your own dry salts. I'm guessing the is a non-CO2 tank, you don't mention ? add more shrimp or try Ramshorn snails. Trim as many algae coated leaves as possible without killing the plant. Keep up on your tank maintenance and WC's. If you don't see plant growth, even slow growth, somethings off. In my non-Co2 tanks, it can take 3-5 weeks for a stem to reach the surface. Try a floating type plant (NOT DUCK WEED!), see how they grow. They're a good indicator for the amount nutrients needed to grow aquatic plants due to they have unlimited C02 from the air.

Cheers

1 - 6 of 6 Posts