The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
195 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So it looks like my new 29g tank is already cycled, but I wanted to get some other opinions first. I am still going to watch it closely and keep the danios in there.

On day one, about a week ago, I heavily planted the tank with clippings, squeezed out a really nasty filter pad from my 55 gallon Cichlid tank into this one and put in about 10 Zebra Danios.

I took a water reading the next day.
NH3 was at 0
N02 was at .8
nitrates were at 5

The reading yesterday was:
NH3 0
N02 0
Nitrates 8

Today it is at
NH3 0
n02 0
Nitrates 9, maybe 10

It looks cycled to me, especially since I seeded it heavily. Do I need to wait, or am I good to start adding my stock?

·
Registered
45 Posts
you'll probably want to wait for someone more experienced to answer, but from what I know about planted tanks (i.e. not a lot) heavily planting a tank cycles the tank because the plants will use up the ammonia. also, using media from other filters helps too. So it would seem to me like you would be okay to start adding to your stock.

·
Registered
423 Posts
Squeezing out that filter pad transplanted some of the nitrifying bacteria into the new tank.

Sounds like you've cycled your tank. How are the danios doing?

·
Banned
217 Posts
No, your tank wouldnt cycle overnight like that, especially at that size. Its a false reading and youre still going to have to wait the 2-3wks to probably a month before its cycled. Cycling needs a slime coating to be formed on the surfaces in your tank and you havent had time for that coating to establish.

Also, if you just started the tank yesterday, youre still going to have to wait for your plants to establish themselves and grow.

I bet that in 3-4 days (when all the free floating bacteria die) your readings will be different and show that your tank hasnt cycled yet.

·
Registered
632 Posts
Killacross, you misread. His tank has been up for a week. It is cycled

You are fine.

You would NOT have ANY NitrAte if you didn't have the bacteria in there. They have converted the NitrIte to nitrAte...

you are cycled.

Do not add a heavy fish load however. Make sure you only add 3-4 at a time.

Keep doing your water tests and monitor for any spikes.

YOu seeded the tank from your established filter, the bacteria colony is established from that. I have started tanks with fish ON THE SAME DAY as filling it using a similar method.

Everyone should be keeping a small sponge filter running in one of their main tanks. Then, if you need a QT, Hospital, or new setup, you have a seeded sponge to toss in there and can "instantly" cycle as long as you don't add TOO many fish.

·
Registered
82 Posts
It sounds like your tank is cycled to me. However, your bacteria load is only enough to handle the amount of fish you currently have. Any extra bacteria from the seeding would have died off due to not enough waste to break down. So its still wise to stock your tank in thirds ( buy some fish , wait a week, repeat), to give the tank a chance to produce more bacteria.

·
Registered
195 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I currently have 10 Zebra Danios in the tank. That should be close to 2/3 stocked from my estimates. They are all healthy and eating well. I see no signs of any disease, parasites, ick or anything else negative. I still have some of the crud from when I squeezed out the filter that is stuck to some of the plants, but it is slowly going away. I am going to wait until it is completely gone before I change anything. There is also a chance that I will get to upgrade it to a 101 gallon in a month or so, but I am still waiting to see if the deal goes through.

I will most likely take the Zebra Danios back to the lfs and trade them for some kribs or rams, then get a school of tetras to go with them, but only once I am comfortable that the tank is safe. I have never tried to cycle a tank this fast so I am not 100% comfortable with it yet.

·
Registered
6,186 Posts
The tank is bio cycled.
I did the same thing to a 110g tank. Planted, stocked and placing the soiled fine filter floss from one of my eheims in the sump cycled the system without spikes in one week.
With rising nitrate levels your cycled.

·
Registered
170 Posts
I've cycled quickly too, using substrate from an established tank. Wonderful!

·
Fresh Fish Freak
24,403 Posts
Sounds cycled to me. The plants plus seeding bacteria cycled it very quickly. I'd do a 50% water change, check your ammonia and nitrite levels the next day, and if you're still at 0ppm start stocking- slowly.

·
Banned
217 Posts
:icon_conf...youre right

I read his post wrong...which is kinda sad considering the thread title...

but yea...if you waited a week..then youre probably cycled...I would still wait a week to be certain. And like mentioned before, do a water change and recheck your levels.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.