The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All
I've cycled my new 20 gal long tank, and the water parameters are not as I expected. PH is still low 6.5, even with big chunks of rocks in the tank, GH is low (0-30) as well KH (0-40), , no amonia, no nitrates. this tank is mainly for cherry shrimp, I added today few crushed corals to raise PH but still, not much change. I have 2 large cattapa leaves, so probably it lowers PH a little bit. I am thinking about buying PH buffer, but if there is any other way i would try it. GH/KH is more important though, i need to move my driftwood from old tank, so it will lower PH even more. my gravel is neutral so it wont help changing PH/GH/KH

·
Registered
1,653 Posts
Rocks may not have any affect if they are not limestone. You can premix your water with salty shrimp to maintain your targets. Texas holey rock will raise the carbonate hardness of your water and your ph and act as a buffer but may raise it over your target.

·
Registered
1,557 Posts
Before you start throwing changes to your water parameters rapidly and possibly stressing your shrimp, I'd give the crushed coral some time to change the hardness and pH.

Solid calcium carbonates take a long time to dissolve, even in soft water, and they will not make your tank's water all that hard, over a month's period. The best you can hope for, especially with a soft water source and water changes, is that the coral will raise your carbonates and general hardness a couple if not a few degrees. This should be fine for both of your shrimp types.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.