The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
975 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am wondering if I took a lot of bio media from my established tank, can I assume that the new tank is already cycled because of this? I have been adding some fish food which causes some ammonia, but the ammonia is quickly brought back down to zero. Think I'm ok?

·
Registered
346 Posts
That's a loaded question with a lot of variables.
How bigs the tank?
Is it planted?
How quickly/ how many critters are you adding?
Everything creating waste in the tank will add to its total biomass. Your beneficial bacteria colony has to be large enough support/ comvert the waste being created.

·
Registered
975 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
That's a loaded question with a lot of variables.
How bigs the tank?
Is it planted?
How quickly/ how many critters are you adding?
Everything creating waste in the tank will add to its total biomass. Your beneficial bacteria colony has to be large enough support/ comvert the waste being created.
And I guess my reasoning for thinking it may be ok is that it will be a shrimp tank. 10 gallon with about ten neos to start. Planted but minimally. It's is a carpet tank only (iwaguami, spelled wrong I'm sure lol)

·
Registered
346 Posts
Oh yeah, shrimp, are far as biomass is concerned, are barely a blip on the radar. You should be good to go. I would still recommend testing your ammonia levels twice a day. If you get a reading, it's time for a partial water change.

Purigen is pretty cool too, if you don't feel like testing. Will throw all your concerns out the window.

·
Registered
975 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Purigen is pretty cool too, if you don't feel like testing. Will throw all your concerns out the window.
Yeah I was thinking of getting Purigen. Not really for the cycle part of things but just for clarity. Do you all know if Purigen will help remove tannins from soil? I know I just need to keep doing water changes to slowly remove the tannins but was wondering if Purigen would help?

Oh yeah, shrimp, are far as biomass is concerned, are barely a blip on the radar. You should be good to go. I would still recommend testing your ammonia levels twice a day. If you get a reading, it's time for a partial water change.
Yeah this is what I was thinking. Low bio mass anyway. I will keep testing ammonia. It only became present when I was feeding the tank food which I imagine will be more of a contributor than some shrimp

·
Registered
975 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
So I ended up not adding anything to the tank other than a snail (common,nusance type) to see how it would fair. It's doing fine but now the ammonia is a little higher and now am registering nitrite as well as the nitrate that was already there. Well I guess I'm cycl'n. I'm assuming this is mainly from the ammonia being released from the soil in combination with the snail. Oh well I don't mind waiting longer

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.