The Planted Tank Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys I'm currently fishless cycling a 5 gallon planted aq. It's been cycling for a while and it's pretty much done (trying to get it to be able to process 4ppm of ammonia even though I'm not gonna need it) its moderately planted with pretty good lighting and plant specific substrate. My problem is that I have a ton of cyanobacteria growing on my plants and it doesnt want to leave. It started when I destroyed a moss ball and glued it to a rock before I realized u were soposte to leave them as balls and has since spread to the rest of the tank. I would buy a chemical to remove it but the tank has alot of plants in it and I dont wanna kill them. I currently have a nerite snail in the tank to get rid of the algae but theres alot of it and it's taking it's time to get to the bacteria. My question is 1) will it deal with itself and 2) will shrimp deal with it when I'm done cycling the tank. (Sorry if you cant see it well walls are very dirty)
Thanks for helping

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
if it's cyno then snails won't eat it, and it won't go away on its own. I treat cyno with erythromycin and that kills it every time.
I have never seen that but I will look for it. if i do get it will the plants be fine with that? And will I have to take the carbon out temporarily?

·
Registered
2,740 Posts
I have never seen that but I will look for it. if i do get it will the plants be fine with that? And will I have to take the carbon out temporarily?

You should remove the carbon but other biological media will be fine in my experience.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
So I got the medication and I'm planning on doing a big water change and taking out as much as possible with that then dosing the tank for a week. The problem is I have a 5 gallon aq and the med packs are for 10 gallon tanks. will it work if I double dose my tank and use 1 packet a day?

·
Registered
1,093 Posts
I would add the packet to a known volume of water (like 100ml), and then pour half into the tank. save the other half for the following day. Double dosing the tank will run the risk of killing your beneficial bacteria you just worked to develop.

·
Premium Member
5,668 Posts
Erythromycin is a gram + antibiotic. If your cycle is newly established it does have the possibility of completely killing beneficial bacteria.

·
Registered
1,093 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
So I finally finished the second dose and about to do the final wc. The problem is that the bacteria is just now starting to die and I'm afraid if I do the wc and leave it, it will just grow back. But at the same time I dont know if it is safe to treat it again or if that would hurt other parts of the tank. Thoughts?

The pictures below are from where the bacteria is sort of dying and sort of living. I did do a massive wc before the 1st does and removed most of the bacteria before I even started treatment so the meds alone didnt do all of the work. Also the algae is mostly taken care of due to a nerite snail I put in there around the same time. Again the question is should I dose it again (is this safe) or should i give it some time and see what happens? Thanks

·
Premium Member
5,668 Posts
I wonder what the underlying cause of cynobacteria is. If you treat it with erythromyacin, this will get rid of it-- but, is that just temporary? Wouldn't the underlying issue that caused it still be there for it to come back?

·
Registered
80 Posts
Erythromycin is a gram + antibiotic.
Hi @Discusluv

As nitrifying bacteria are gram-negative, wouldn't that also mean that erythromycin is aimed at gram-negative bacteria? Here in the UK, it is illegal to use erythromycin.

Anon

It started when I destroyed a moss ball and glued it to a rock before I realized u were soposte to leave them as balls and has since spread to the rest of the tank.
Hi @connor31556

That's interesting but it makes sense that cyanobacteria cells and filaments could easily get trapped inside a moss ball. I've had problems with cyano and it's not easy to eradicate. It's sometimes necessary to strip a tank down and start afresh. Surprising that this may seem, I'd rather do this than resort to any 'snake oil' treatment.

The reasons why cyano grows in our tanks are many and complex. But, for the last year, I have devoted a lot of time to this and carried out several experiments - with some success.

Anon

1 - 12 of 12 Posts