The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys,
So i've recently reset my 54L tank and scaped it to iwagumi style with HC Cuba as the carpeting plant. I am currently on the cycling phase where algae grows here and there. However though, some blue-green algae (or i think so) start appearing on some of the hc cuba clumps. Should i be worried or it will bi gone along with the other algaes when the cycling process is coming to an end?

Here ara some pics of the BGA, seems slimy but somehow it look like there are som strand-looking algae inside (not sure tho, help with id please!)

Thanks,
-AmphiprionOcellaris

Attachments

·
Registered
257 Posts
Not enough information but I'm guessing you're having a problem with your cycle. To much nutrients and not enough biological filtration. Cyanobacteria usually occurs when there is something wrong with your cycle. How many fish do you have? You need fish to keep the cycle going. Go to the pharmacy and get a dosing syringe. Fill it with peroxide and squirt on the plants. Just don't use to much because it can harm your fish in large doses. It may take multiple treatments. Try to remove as much as you can with a pair of plant tongs. Pull as much off as you can before you treat.

If you do all of the above and fix your cycle it's possible it might clear up on is own. I've seen cyanobacteria clear up in a matter of days once the cycle was fixed. The nitrifying bacteria in your filter need fish waste to complete the cycle. Also you may need more biological media to cultivate the bacteria. A larger filter possibly? I don't know what you're using. Low nitrates with high light levels and excess nutrients can cause this type of outbreak.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.