The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
For the first time ever (30 years or so), I've got good plant growth in my 90 gal. discus tank. (I've been using Flourish.) Problem: Some plants are now shading new growth. I don't know much about plants, and have tried lots of different kinds, but the major problem is with something that looks like grass. No, not that grass. Maybe it's val. Can I cut it like the lawn? Do the tips grow, or does it grow only from the roots?

Thanks.

·
Registered
21,012 Posts
Vals will grow leaves that are 3 feet long, so they drape across the surface of the water, eventually covering it entirely. Is that what you have? If so, yes you can cut off the long leaves down to the height you want. The ends will die back a bit from the cut, but the plants will quickly send up new leaves at least as long as the first ones. When I had lots of vals pruning them was a weekly job, and even that didn't keep up with the growth.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.