The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My 26 Bow is is planted in black sand.

My 2217 is a monster - and I love it. I've tried re-directing the flow, using a spray bar, no bar, etc... the bottom line is I'm pushing sand all over.

What is best practice to reduce the outflow of the filter into my tank - dial back the large in-flow tap, or dial back the out-flow tap? Or a little of both?

I'm sure the impeller is designed to move water at X RPM... so I'm thinking of dialing back the larger in-flow tube so I don't restrict the output of the impeller.

Make sense?

But what do I know.

Any knowledgeable suggestions are appreciated.

Thanks

- Ken

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I have all the taps

Manipulate the quick disconnect valves on the outflow side. If you don't have any, you can always run some barb fittings and a ball valve on the outflow line.
In aqua speak:

"Outflow" - water moving out of the tank (in to the filter)

"Inflow" - water moving in to the tank (out of the filter)

or is it the other way around?

Thanks

-Ken

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Ah - so its the Filter's world

Inflow=Water moving into the filter (out of the tank)
Outflow=Water moving out of the filter (into the tank)

I was always told to throttle it down using the taps on the outflow side.

We're just living in it.

:)

I've seen it used both ways... figured there had to be a protocol someplace.

So choke the outflow a bit.

Thanks

- K

·
Registered
241 Posts
Why don't you just direct the spray bar directly into the glass? That's what I did with my 2213 wich was too strong for my 25g, I removed the cap from the spray bar and directed in on the glass in a corner.

Or you could split the outflow of the filter in two and have it go to 2 spray bars on opposite sides of the tank.

But I wouldn't reduce the flow of the filter

·
Registered
518 Posts
You could drill the holes to make them larger on the spray bar. I had to cut mine down to fit it in my tank. I didn't want to ruin it but I told myself that it was just a spray bar not the whole filter and I could always buy a new one if I per chance break it.

·
Registered
243 Posts
You could drill the holes to make them larger on the spray bar. I had to cut mine down to fit it in my tank. I didn't want to ruin it but I told myself that it was just a spray bar not the whole filter and I could always buy a new one if I per chance break it.
Great idea also...:proud:

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.