The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have several anubias that are in a 29g with 1.2 watts per gal. I have had them for more that a year and the leaves are covered with algae and the plants seem to have stopped producing new leaves. Should I cut off all or some of the leaves to encourage new growth? All my other plants seem to be thriving.

Thanks

·
Registered
791 Posts
I don't like pruning leaves of slow growing plants unless they are damaged. You may want to first try a 3-4 day blackout. If it kills the algae, the anubias leaves should come out looking good. Also, finding an algae eater or spot treating with excel may also clean them up.

·
Registered
1,790 Posts
I rountinely hack the crap out of my Anubias....

And they do look like crap for a while but mine always bounce back better than ever. I cut rhizomes, leaves and roots. I just do a basic hedge trim. Of course YMMV. But I believe it helps them grow better.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the responses. I am also concerned with the cause of the algae. I just moved and the previous house had 10ppm nitrates right out of the tap. This combined with a small amount of strong indirect sunlight may have contributed to the outbreak. The current location of the tank and the new water parameters should help.

I'll try the excel first before cutting back.

Ed - what is the wpg in the photo you posted? I am assuming you are using CO2 also?

·
Registered
1,790 Posts
Thanks for the responses. I am also concerned with the cause of the algae. I just moved and the previous house had 10ppm nitrates right out of the tap. This combined with a small amount of strong indirect sunlight may have contributed to the outbreak. The current location of the tank and the new water parameters should help.

I'll try the excel first before cutting back.

Ed - what is the wpg in the photo you posted? I am assuming you are using CO2 also?
Currently I have a 28W Coralife power compact fixture on that tank. It is a 25Gal. Yes I am using CO2. But very very little.

The point of my post was that I think you can improve the heath of Anubias by trimming them so don't hesitate trimming them in fears that they can not be trimmed. Especially if you have algae on them. They respond very well to trimming. Like I said though they look raggity for a while but then bounce back better than before. Note that these are slow growing.... so when I say "bounce back" the will but slowly.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.