The Planted Tank Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
205 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ive got a kleiner bar sword that loves to send flowering runners to the surface and past my canopy. I would like to know if its relatively safe to cut these runners, as they are too many and beginning to look a little cluttered sitting on top of my lights. My main concern was if this would cause any negative effects to the plant itself or if this would only encourage more runners going to the surface.....Thanks

·
Registered
167 Posts
I read somewhere that with aponogeton you are supposed to cut the flowers runners at the base after a while otherwise the plants growth will be stunted...?

I have been cutting all of them and the plant just keeps sending more so I guess it is not a bad thing...

I am not sure with the sword though..

·
Registered
764 Posts
No problem in cutting the flower stalks with swords either. If you want to propagate the plantlets, cut them off when they have their own roots (easiest) and plant them where you want them/ sell them. No negative effects should become the mother plant. It takes effort to put out those flower stalks, so cutting them short actually conserves mom's energy. But, a sword that is feeling well will be putting out stalks constantly. :)

1 - 3 of 3 Posts