The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Children Boogie
16,743 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I had this old 30G hex aquarium that I took apart in hopes of making a new 5-10G rimless tank... The glass is .25 inch thick... I tried cutting it with a typical small glass cutter but only made a little dent. It seems like the glass is toughened too. There's no way I'll cut it with this glass cutter. Should I just give up on this effort?

·
Registered
664 Posts
0.25 inch thick? Go for it - you'd be surprised. I've broken glass thicker than that, and it's easy. Of course, I was scoring and snapping the remains of a glass coffee table that I broke, so I wasn't shooting for accuracy. I had to fit the darn thing in the trash or recycling somehow. Remember that glass edges are extremely sharp. You ought to look up a guide for how to properly (and safely) score and snap glass, though.

·
Children Boogie
16,743 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
If memory serves me right, there's a really good thread with a video link included on this very topic.

Found it:http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/d...h-cube-56k.html?highlight=glass+cutting+video. Page 2 for the video.
Thanks AnneRiceBowl.. I saw that link.The glass he's using is pretty thin and easy to work with.. I did some googling around the web and someone recommended using a bigger glass cutter. He said the smaller glass cutter is useless for thick glass.

I'll check the hardware stores & craft shops.

·
Registered
466 Posts
For glass that thick use a new glass cutter and don't apply as much pressure. If you apply to much pressure it does not break as easy. sounds weird, one thinks the thicker the glass the more pressure but that is not true. Also use lubricant everytime you cut the glass. There is also a pliers made for the breaking part ( it is not needed but does make it a bit easier). you should be able to get it at a hardware store.

·
Children Boogie
16,743 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Well, thanks for all of the advice... It seems like aquarium glass is tempered or toughened. It won't break in a straight line. It comes off in chunks and creates a hazardous and not pretty line. This has to be done by machines.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.