The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
502 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am planning on gifting a friend a couple of cuttings from some of my anubias. I notice that on my rhizomes that the plant grows in the opposite direction from the original cut. The original cut end just looks like a healed scar. My question is this: When I razor off the portion(the growing end) from the main rhizome, what will transpire on that fresh cut end of the main rhizome? I assume it will become a healed scar and that a small shoot of rhizome will begin to grow from around the edge of the healed scar. In other words, how will my main rhizome continue to grow? As it is, I get new leaves on a regular basis, so will it tick the main rhizome off and stall the growth while it collects itself? I like my friend a lot, but I like my plants better.:grin2:

·
Registered
390 Posts
I find that mine usually heal and put out a new rhizome [censored][censored][censored][censored] from where is been cut. Sometimes I get 1 sometimes 2, sometimes I even get a shoot out of the old cut end as well
Yea, I've also seen new leaves sprout out of parts of the rhyzome that didn't have any leaves on it anymore. Anubias is quite hardy and you shouldn't see any harsh side effects from cutting. I started off with one Anubias nana and now I have somewhere close to 20 from that original plant. The original plant is still over 1 foot long/tall. It took 3-4 years but yea!

I notice when I cut off dying leaves, I see improved growth. If you see anything stall, try removing some older leaves that aren't doing so well (if there are even any).

I also found some good information for you here: http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/33-plants/78716-cutting-anubias-rhizome-question.html. They link you to this article: How to Plant and Grow Anubias

·
Registered
424 Posts
I have even "snapped" them in half and eventually get growth out of the "snapped" end....

cool plant- grows slow tho-

·
Registered
4,221 Posts
If I break off old leaves I see a bud in the joint that will grow into a new stem. I've never seen new shoots coming from anywhere but those buds.

Back in '10 when I reset the tank my Nana was mostly rhizomes. I cut them into 2-3 leaf joint bits and glued all over my wood. Most of the bits didn't have roots either. When I removed the plants from the wood the next year 1 bit hadn't sprouted but was still green and viable. Some bits had grown into fist sized bushes. Some that were in serious shade had leaves the size of rice grains. Tough plant that puts up with a lot.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.