The Planted Tank Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is it "common" for LFS to offer Custom Tanks? I'm thinking something along the lines of what Steven (Chong) has done. I could build it myself (heck, I could cut the glass myself for that matter), but I'd much rather order and pick up the finished product.

I wonder if PetSmut offers something like this?

Thanks,

Scott
Sanford, Maine

·
Registered
429 Posts
Call around to some of the smaller local stores and try it out. The stores around here don't offer it, and I'm sure petsmart and the like don't.

·
Registered
754 Posts
Calgary's a realtively small city at around a million folks and there's at least three custom builders here...talk to the independant stores and you'll find them if they're there.

I just did an 81 gallon, 3 sides starfire with euro bracing...$350...but our prices are nothing like yours are. The cheapest you'll get a 90 gallon here is about $225. Add the starfire, and euro bracing and you're at the 350 mark... I should mention I also picked up an FX5 for $250 CDN which is a good deal lower than the $400 MSRP up here...

·
Registered
166 Posts
Many of the aquarium manufacturers especially the smaller less well known ones will build custom tanks for you. The problem is that many of the tank mfrs only sell thru dealers. You might be able to search for Mfrs that do custom tanks, then find out if they will sell direct or if there is a dealer near you.

·
Registered
174 Posts
You never know until you ask. I'd think they'd have all the clamps and braces. You'd need to find a smaller mom and pop type shop.

Edit: The lfs should be willing to order you a custom tank too. Expect to pay for it up front. They probably wouldn't be willing to do it for a small tank. There wouldn't be enough profit to pay for the time involved in ordering it.

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I know most of the glass places around here. I've talked to most of them. Haven't talked with them in awhile though so it certainly can't hurt to compile a list and try it again.

That said, I compiled a list of LFS (within 90 miles or so) to call. Man, I knew the PetCo and PetSmut's were killing LFS - but I hadn't realized how thoroughly they're wiping them out. Very few left here (Maine and surrounding area) now.

Thanks!

s

·
Registered
179 Posts
This is my custom tank experience : I made it myself

I work at the LFS, and it is very challenging for us to get custom tanks. There are several custom tank companies that can be found on-line, but shipping is mucho $$$.

I just decided to make one exactly how I wanted.

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I actually do a lot of glass cutting already. I do not have a good way to bevel the edges (smooth them out) and put a nice finish on them.

I do see that you had the glass cut for you though. I think that's the way to go. I will definitely follow your advice and (if I do this) make sure all panes are cut exactly as specified.

I think my main concern is finding the light I want first - then making sure that whatever tank I buy, or build, matches the "feet" for the light. I've seen too many pics of people trying to figure out how to make a tank work with a specific light. I'd like to make sure it works *before* buying the tank.

Thanks!

s

·
Registered
384 Posts
Scott,
The last time I was in aquatic concepts in westbrook I remember seeing some large custom tanks. I don't know whether they were refurbishing them or selling or whatever. They may be a good spot to start with.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts