The Planted Tank Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
627 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone here have a custom tank? What kind of $premium do they run?

I am getting obsessed with a 30x24x24 tank idea. Like two 37t back to back.

·
Registered
25 Posts
I have a 36x24x24 that I originally used for a reef tank that I am in the process of converting over.

I went with 1" acrylic so that it could be rimless/braceless and that I could have an external overflow (26" wide 10" deep).
The external overflow is silent due to the width of the overflow and that the water drops about 2", had about 1300gph going through the overflow when it was running with 0 noise and 0 splashing(its using the 2 standpipes 1 emergency drain ). I have a black acrylic insert that hides the plumbing as well.

The tank (bull nosed/rounded corners, large external overflow box on the back) and came with a 30x16x16 sump for $550 new.

Here is a picture of when I first picked it up, I've painted the back with chalkboard paint (looks like a matte/very low gloss black when looking at it through the tank)
Also in case any one is wondering the stand was custom made from maple, stained with vinegar soaked stealwool then varnished with the inside painted with white epoxy.

·
Registered
1,741 Posts
One thing you might consider is, increase the length to 36 Inches or better yet 48 inches. It makes lighting choices much easier. that's if you will be going with flourescent tubes anyway. If you go with LEDS or Metal Halide, that wouldn't be so much an issue.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts