The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Plant Whisperer
2,550 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm looking at making a custom rimless tank.

Measurements will be approx. 20" wide x 22 tall x 36 long which is around 60-70 gallons. I'm thinking of using 3/8" thick plate glass. Any advice on if this will be thick enough? Do I need to corner brace? Is tempered glass for the bottom needed?

·
Registered
3,908 Posts
I'm looking at making a custom rimless tank.

Measurements will be approx. 20" wide x 22 tall x 36 long which is around 60-70 gallons. I'm thinking of using 3/8" thick plate glass. Any advice on if this will be thick enough? Do I need to corner brace? Is tempered glass for the bottom needed?
If it were me I would use 1/2" glass and RTV 108 (clear) or RTV 103 (black) silicone. Doing this you wouldn't need to worry about euro bracing. Just my 2 cents.

Edit: tempered glass is not needed if using 1/2"

·
Plant Whisperer
2,550 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
1/2" thick glass makes it difficult to take photos through the glass I've noticed. I'd prefer the 3/8" but also don't like the idea of having to euro brace since it looks like crap in my opinion. How come you mention choosing 1/2" over 3/8" for no braces? Is this based on personal experience or just being overly cautious?

·
Registered
13 Posts
20" X 22" X 36" = 15,850 in^3.

15,850in^3 X .00433 gal/in^3 = 68.59 gallons.

Of course that's lazy math as you must subtract the volume of the glass but you have an approximate.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

·
Registered
3,908 Posts
1/2" thick glass makes it difficult to take photos through the glass I've noticed. I'd prefer the 3/8" but also don't like the idea of having to euro brace since it looks like crap in my opinion. How come you mention choosing 1/2" over 3/8" for no braces? Is this based on personal experience or just being overly cautious?
I go based off of what companies are willing to sell me. If you go around looking for a 70 gallon tank that is rimless without euro bracing, you will be hard pressed to find many(possibly any?) being sold that are less than a 1/2 inch thick. If no one is willing to make an aquarium less than 1/2 inch thick, I take it there's a reason for that. Additionally, I am super cautious about that much water exploding in my house. It would be enough to cover my main floor more than an inch deep.

·
Plant Whisperer
2,550 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I think it makes it more difficult to clean the glass and arrange things inside the tank since you have to navigate around the overhanging parts.

I'll see about 1/2" glass at the local glass store.

I will also look into low iron glass though I'm not sure if it will make that much of a difference in clarity.

And for the bottom pane? Tempered glass or normal? 1/2" or thicker?

·
Registered
3,908 Posts
Annealed 1/2 thick glass for the bottom pane should be fine. Tempered would work as well of course but will cost you significantly more for a custom size.

When I went shopping for a 120 gallon tank what I found is that custom glass suppliers had WILDLY different quotes. I ended up calling every glass cutter I could find in a 5 hour radius around my house. The cheapest was less then half the cost of the most expensive. I also found the cost to be very similar to what a professional tank would cost from some of the cheaper manufacturers out there which is why I gave up on the idea of making my own tank. Hopefully you will have better luck and find cheaper prices. If not then consider glasscages.com or a standard sized tank from makers like UNS.

·
Registered
1,114 Posts
That is true. I know its overkill for the tank I built but I dont want 30 gallons of water on my floor.

There's less of a tint of blue/green on low iron glass. Not my image, something I found on Google.

That will be up to you. Plate glass or Tempered, as long as it's at least the same thickness as your other glass.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.