The Planted Tank Forum banner

Custom tank worth the price ?

1836 Views 17 Replies 10 Participants Last post by  Special_K
Hi everyone,

I'm in process to order a new custom tank to replace my 75P and i dont know if the quote i got worth the price. These spec for 960$ usd. The 75p is 8mm glass and in the quote 12mm.

Last time i ordered a custom tank 4 year ago, it cost me 700$.

Rimless 30x18x18"
All edges machine polished
1/2" glass all around
4 holes in back panel
Ghost style overflow
Sandblast vinyl applied to the back panel
Starphire front and ends
Shipping include

thanks
1 - 18 of 18 Posts
I would say that it is worth the price if your going to put in in a location where the room looks like something out of Architectural Digest. In other words, everything needs to look just right.

For many people though, it's a complete waist of money. The tank in question is only about 42 gal, and not that much different in shape to a 40 breeder, or if you want to go larger a 70 gal tank.

I would suggest looking at standard reef ready tanks, so you get the overflow and all, and go from there. I think you'll spend lots less and if you so desire end up with a much larger tank.
Reactions: 2
I paid 700$ for a stand...and i almost sold it at the same person. She will answer me later this week.

Marineland, Perfecto etc. is great cheap tank, the manufacture built a tank with a low thickness with a plastic rubber. Also they dont offer the starfire glass and rimless option.

If she is taking it, what will be the best tank for an aquascaping in these option:

1. 48"x20"x20" with metal stand + wood cover

2. 48"x20"x20" with maple wood stand

3. 48"x24"x20" with metal stand + wood cover

4. 48"x24"x20" with maple wood stand

thanks
See less See more
48"x20"x20" with maple wood stand got my vote.
The 24 inch height would be great, but make sure your tall enough and have enoug arm reach to be able to reach everywhere in the tank, without using a ladder.

If your can't do this go with the shorter tank.

My preference would be for the maple wood stand, unless the rest of the room is decorated so that metal stand would look better. Personally I detest those big massive wood canopies people build, but some people love them.
The 24" is in depth, and 20" hight.

24" hight rimless is too expensive for me.
48 by 24 by 20 is very similar to a 120 isn't it? It is a great aquascaping tank
Unless you want to stand on a stool, the top lip of the tank can't be higher than your armpit.
Probably I will get the 48x24x20" with an aluminium stand.

With ou without wood at cover?

Also I will need to buy 2 new light, my maxspect is not enough long for an 48" and 24" depth, what you recommended ?
I like the stands they make on Tanked. Steel or alu frame to rest the tank and carry the gear, and a slide on fascia.
I would say that it is worth the price if your going to put in in a location where the room looks like something out of Architectural Digest. In other words, everything needs to look just right.

For many people though, it's a complete waist of money. The tank in question is only about 42 gal, and not that much different in shape to a 40 breeder, or if you want to go larger a 70 gal tank.

I would suggest looking at standard reef ready tanks, so you get the overflow and all, and go from there. I think you'll spend lots less and if you so desire end up with a much larger tank.
I agree with this one.

If I were you, I'd go for the Nuvo Fusion all-in-one tank..
I'm from Canada and it is hard to find a compagne want ship to here that why I want something custom.
+1 to Dave

IMO unless you really need a specific size to perfectly fit a space or are getting a tank that is a totally unique size it is not worth customizing.
The first aspect i reach into a tank is the "rimless" thing. I like the look and the perfection.
Why do i want a customize tank ? Because i dont know any brand who built a 48x24x20" in rimless.
Over 20" high, it could be very expensive to find a light. I know the 24" depth can be expensive, but less than the high.

Also, i prefer to watch my tank than the tv...i owned the cable because my wife want to watch her tv show...

Another reason to get only 24" in depth, it is because i will need to move the tank in next 3-4 years. Over 24" depth, it can be difficult to move and over 100G of water at the second stage, it can be dangerous.

Today i got the deposit for the tank, and the person will come in march to get it. I will probably order the new tank in june.

thanks
See less See more
The first aspect i reach into a tank is the "rimless" thing. I like the look and the perfection.
Why do i want a customize tank ? Because i dont know any brand who built a 48x24x20" in rimless.
Over 20" high, it could be very expensive to find a light. I know the 24" depth can be expensive, but less than the high.

Also, i prefer to watch my tank than the tv...i owned the cable because my wife want to watch her tv show...

Another reason to get only 24" in depth, it is because i will need to move the tank in next 3-4 years. Over 24" depth, it can be difficult to move and over 100G of water at the second stage, it can be dangerous.

Today i got the deposit for the tank, and the person will come in march to get it. I will probably order the new tank in june.

thanks
Which company did you order from? I'm in New England area and I'm planning on getting the same tank with same dimension.
1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.