The Planted Tank Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
376 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I really like my last custom light fixture, and I'd like to build on the concept for my 58 gallon. Tank dimensions are 36"L 18"W 21"H, and the light will suspended.

My goals are good coverage, manageable full time light output, the ability to burst high light, and LED shimmer.

Here is what I came up with.

I plan on Icecap SLRs for all T5 bulbs, NO & HO.
I'd like to do a combo of T5NO and T5HO. I was planning on T5NO on for the either the full photoperiod, or off for 4 hours while the T5HO burst. This way, I can keep my PAR down, still have a decent window of time to view the tank, (hate 7 hr. photoperiods!) and have full penetration/light intensity.

I want the LED shimmer effect, in addition to the color rendition of T5 tubes. As seen above, I've come up with a couple proposed locations for LEDs. Any of the LED gurus here *cough*Evilc66, Hoppy*cough* have input for location and size/type? I was thinking of 1W Luxeon or Cree, but was curious if SMDs would work for what I want. I'm not planning on using the LEDs to boost par, just for shimmer. Something pre-made (like this) would be awesome, as I don't know how to solder.

If anyone has any input, please share!

·
Registered
122 Posts
If you aren't up for soldering, then using the Ecoxotic Stunner Strips or a strip like you linked to can work for just shimmer puposes. If you go with the strips from Superbright LEDs, you might want to look at the flexible strips, and one with a neitral white color. The cool whites on many of these are very blue, and can really throw off your tank color.

·
Registered
172 Posts
I was curious about this as well as far as spectrum goes.
I like the mix of blue and white LEDs I have on my reef, but that may not be the best spectrum for my planted.
Wondering what may be best color of LEds to add, or if I should use just white?
I'd love to have shimmer on my planted as well.

·
Registered
376 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the link davocean, i hadn't seen those before.

evilc66 - Thanks for the input. If a DIY route will be best, then I can learn how to solder. I was just wondering if that would be cheaper, or give better results to go with strips. Do you have any experience with the Ecoxotic strips? They list the white as 8k, wondering if that would be too blue. Are there any other good companies that sell LED strips?

·
Registered
172 Posts
Alot of these are pretty new, that link is a pretty new strip.
That company is supposed to send me some of those to try out/play around with.
I have an all LED fixture from them on my reeftank, which is blue and white, nice for reef colors.
IMO that company is off on calling color spectrum ratings, and the all white IMO is more like a 10K look.
They ask me what they should use for FW/planted light spectrum, but most of my knowledge is in reeftanks.
I want to learn more about this myself w/out coming off too much like a sales guy for them, not my intention, but I do like to share what info I have on new products out there.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts