The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
9,750 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Custom Aquarium Cabinets: Contemporary Design for Your Setup

I have developed a couple of more or less unique kinds of aquarium stand construction and I have received a number of inquires about them. For a limitied time I would like to offer fully-finished stands built to the buyer's specifications.

I know that this audience is highly DIY-inclined and if you like the looks of these stands then you might be just as likely to build your own version, but they do demand a lot of time with cutting, sanding and finishing, so this kind of offer can be a good value.

The picture below shows an example stand. This one features double-thickness (1 1/2") plywood panels with some exposed hardware (e.g., bolt heads, washers, hinges and hasp) and plywood endgrain as design elements. This kind of construction has a way of looking good with plastic-framed aquariums. It will also compliment your rimless tank.

I will have some better pictures on the way, including some shots showing the other general design.

Prices will start at $150 for the simplest designs for the smallest (30cm) tanks and increase with dimensions and complexity. Ask me about payment terms. I suggest shipping via UPS ground, which is relatively economical for oversized, heavy boxes. I will add a crate fee (starting at $10) for shipping; these things will require a lot of bubble wrap and careful packing for safe shipping. Most stand designs will be best shipped with partial dissasembly, but can be reassembled easily with simple hand tools (e.g., screwdriver, crescent wrench).

Estimated project lead times will start at two weeks for the simplest cabinet designs.

I'll post more details later. Just let me know if you have any questions.

·
Registered
9,750 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Here is the other general design. This one features 2X4 and 4X4 boards finsihed and joined with framing connectors.

This design can also be skinned with plywood doors and side panels mounted flush with supports. Clear-finished supports with painted panels would look good with that kind of configuration.

·
Registered
9,750 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Hey thanks Gordon!

This picture--the stand is upside-down in this view--shows construction details for the plywood stand style. Two pairs of long hex bolts hold the whole thing together. This is super-sturdy.

·
Registered
9,750 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
You can't really see the cabinet in this picture but I also have my 56G riparium on one of the plywood builds. I should try to get a better in situ/I] picture of this one with the whole room.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.