The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I have a very unique sized tank (48"x5"x9") That Im planning on turning into a nano river tank for some hill stream loaches and things like that. Im putting a sump on it mostly to increase the water volume because its only about 10 gallons.

So for the overflow I thought it may be fun to try and build a custom bean animal system out of a spare sheet of acrylic I have. Its pretty thin I dont remember the exact measurement, but the idea is to basically have no actual "plumbing" in the tank taking up room. specifically ugly pvc pipe.

It would basically have a normal overflow weir and instead of the pvc there would be small (appropriately sized for flow) boxes made into the shapes of how the pvc Ts and elbows would work to create the different parts of the system.

Has anybody ever seen/done anything like this before? I realize this post may do better in a reef forum or something but Im not signed up for one of those and I wanted to reach as many people as possible too see if anybody has some answers. I also realize some may think the bean animal system might be a little much for a small nano tank but... i dont care lol I like that its silent and I just want to make one dad gummit! :nerd:

I attached a pic i made to better explain. I tried to color code the different "stand pipes" so you can see them all a little more clearly

Attachments

·
Registered
877 Posts
I say go for it! Just be careful with your measurements for constructing the smaller channel boxes, and try to build in the ability to adjust their installed height ect...
Worst case if they don't work as planned....Replace them with conventional pipe and fittings. No big deal.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I didn't know you could get clear pvc! Although part of the reason was to save space. I could make these to be able to take in the same amount of water while taking up less actual space in the tank itself. Where can you get the clear pvc?

·
Registered
1,461 Posts

Attachments

·
Registered
1,403 Posts
I didn't know you could get clear pvc! Although part of the reason was to save space. I could make these to be able to take in the same amount of water while taking up less actual space in the tank itself. Where can you get the clear pvc?
I've never actually bought any, but a quick google search turns up plenty of suppliers.

As far as saving space, assuming you're going to drill your tank anyways I would do something more along the lines of this, and use a clear pvc elbow if needed on the open channel/trickle pipe if it is too challenging to balance with water turbulence from the weir, though the same could likely be achieved with a small baffle between the weir and the returns

Attachments

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I really like this idea, I may have to scrap my whole idea for that haha. Do you think it would matter if the two holes were drilled on the back side of the tank instead of the end. I don't imagine it would.

I'm going to see if I can find some clear pvc and probably go with this. It would have been cool to see the water working through the acrylic "standpipes" but this just makes way more sense lol

·
Registered
1,846 Posts
1 - 8 of 8 Posts