The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Custommade 12 gallon aquarium I’ve had for a month now, I have a blue lobster and a few guppies. I really love this tank but for some reason I have a thought that there’s gotta be more I can do to make it more presentable but I don’t know exactly what seems to be missing, I’d really love to read what this fish community thinks

·
Registered
2,140 Posts
The back right side could use a stem like hygro- looks kind of empty. I'm bad at the scaping side of it, though and my lay outs are usually done as I'm planting (I set up hardscape design ahead of time but lord only knows if it will stay that way as I start planting).

·
Registered
285 Posts
Could try a dark background and maybe a piece of driftwood? Not sure how the crayfish/blue lobsters treat live plants but you could maybe get away with a val or some anubias in there

Reactions: Hoboscape420

·
Registered
2,807 Posts
You will need to rehome the crayfish pretty soon. They look cute in the store when small but they grow to be about 8 inches long and will move all your substrate around, eat the guppies and any live plants even floaters. I really want one but have been unwilling to devote a 30+ gallon tank to one.

If you don't like the aquascape then don't be afraid to change it completely. I rescape every few months.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
You will need to rehome the crayfish pretty soon. They look cute in the store when small but they grow to be about 8 inches long and will move all your substrate around, eat the guppies and any live plants even floaters. I really want one but have been unwilling to devote a 30+ gallon tank to one.

If you don't like the aquascape then don't be afraid to change it completely. I rescape every few months.
Well, about 5 inches (cray) or so and I have the gups to breed for feeders for my bp Cichlid and the cray but he’s not ever hunt mode (I think cause he’s well fed) and even when you put a feeder he can catch right in front of him he takes his time grabbing it. I know a lot of people say 20 or 30 gals but I’ve kept one A while back and it lived quite a few years just fine, and even had him with community fish at one point. I really wouldn’t mind having a whole planted tank with intentions of overstocking.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·

I took your advice on rescaping the whole thing and I even have some wild water plants I found 🙂

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Could try a dark background and maybe a piece of driftwood? Not sure how the crayfish/blue lobsters treat live plants but you could maybe get away with a val or some anubias in there
As of now I have a divider with plants I found outdoors and 3 cherry shrimp utilizing about only 2 gallons of room but i don’t know what kinda plants they are. Hopefully they’ll over grow so I can just dump em on the other side of the divider too with enough so he can’t kill them all?

·
Registered
2,807 Posts
As of now I have a divider with plants I found outdoors and 3 cherry shrimp utilizing about only 2 gallons of room but i don’t know what kinda plants they are. Hopefully they’ll over grow so I can just dump em on the other side of the divider too with enough so he can’t kill them all?
Heh if you leave an electric blue crayfish (non dwarf variety I am assuming) he will eat anything in there that is a plant in time. At some point he is going to start digging trying to make a burrow as well. All crayfish want a burrow because they will molt periodically and they want to do that somewhere completely enclosed with an entrance they can block up. They are basically bulldozers in these tanks so no substrate or decorations are safe. The only time I've seen a tank keep plants and one of these things at the same time is a high tech tank using high light and co2 and a monte carlo carpet. Basically the plants grew too quickly for the crayfish to cut it down. Didn't stop them from excavating but at least they didn't eat all the plants.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Well I do have this ornament which he hides all day under unless he can’t c u and he scan also crawl right inside it from underneath which he does sometimes and he does shovel all the sand out from underneath it. I did have that one strand of hornwort floating around all over before the divider and he didn’t bother, but then again it was shorter and was floating so ya your probably right

1 - 9 of 9 Posts